removing new record template from text.typ

Jason Lee

Oct 19, 2022, 7:09:21 PM10/19/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Is there an easy way to get rid of the new record template in text database types? I like to have lots of empty lines in my text databases to separate groups of fields, but the constant insertion of \ref, etc every time I hit <enter> is annoying. The only way to add empty lines in a text database seems to be by opening it in a text editor and adding empty lines that way!

ToolBox SIL

Oct 19, 2022, 8:01:17 PM10/19/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's quite easy. But there are two possible sources of "automatic" field insertions.

1) The New Record Template:
  • Create a new record.
  • Delete all the fields (except the Record Marker -- the very first field).
  • Do Database, Template. Toolbox will display the following dialog box:
image.png
  • Click OK
The next time you create a new record, it should be empty. Of course if there are some fields you want, you can leave them in.

2) Marker for Following Field:
The other possible source of automatic field insertion is the Marker for Following Field feature. It is set up in the Text database type in the New Project package. So you probably have it. It specifies that if you are in a particular field, and you hit the <ENTER> key, it will insert the specified field.
  • Do Database, Properties.
  • Select a field you suspect has this feature. For example, in the New Project package, the Free Translation field (\ft) asks for the \ref field to follow. If you hit an <ENTER> at the end of a \ft field, Toolbox will insert a \ref field.
image.png
  • Drop the list of markers
  • Choose [none]. It's at the top of the list.
image.png
  • Click on OK.
That should solve the problem for that field. If you discover others -- by getting unwanted markers when you hit <ENTER> -- you can follow the same procedure for them.

Note that Toolbox will not permit blank lines within a set of interlinearized lines (usually text, gloss, part-of-speech). If you try to put one in, it can cause problems.

Karen
Toolbox Support

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 6:09 PM 'Jason Lee' via Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox <shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of the new record template in text database types? I like to have lots of empty lines in my text databases to separate groups of fields, but the constant insertion of \ref, etc every time I hit <enter> is annoying. The only way to add empty lines in a text database seems to be by opening it in a text editor and adding empty lines that way!

Jason Lee

Oct 19, 2022, 11:25:30 PM10/19/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Thanks Karen. I should have known this.

ToolBox SIL

Oct 20, 2022, 12:36:59 PM10/20/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
If everyone knew everything about Toolbox, that would be great. But I'm here to fill in the trivia that folks have missed. (And, frankly, even I don't know everything about it!)

Karen
Toolbox Support