automatically switch keyboard in toolbox

Gail Coelho

Sep 1, 2023, 7:18:02 AM9/1/23
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Hi,

I have just joined this group and have a question.

I have been using shoebox/toolbox since the 90s and the SIL IPA font. But for the first time, I am encountering a problem with automatically switching between keyboards.

I bought a new laptop recently with Windows 11 on it, and then downloaded toolbox 164 and the latest version of Keyman's IPA keyboard. However, I find that I am now unable to link Keyman's IPA keyboard to a particular language encoding. I have to manually switch the keyboard by going to the und-Latn icon in my taskbar every time I use a field with the IPA font. When I went into "Language encoding, Options" , I found that the und-Latn keyboard doe not show up in my list of keyboards. Please explain how I can get automatic switching again in toolbox, since it is very annoying to do it manually each time I type in a field with the IPA font.

Thank you,
Gail Coelho

ToolBox SIL

Sep 4, 2023, 10:38:05 AM9/4/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Gail,

I was hoping someone else would reply since I don't have an answer for you. Toolbox hasn't changed. It might be that an earlier version of Keyman would work. I believe the problem with Keyman happened before Windows 11. So, if someone out there is using the latest version of Toolbox and some version of Keyman, that would be helpful.

I have made keyboards for people using the MSKLC (MicroSoft Keyboard Layout Creator), including recently, and have never had any such problem. So I offer you that option. You would have to tell me which keys you use for which characters. (MSKLC creates a Windows compatible keyboard which can be used with any program, and Toolbox can see the keyboards.)

Let me know.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Craig Kopris

Sep 4, 2023, 12:36:39 PM9/4/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
I've had keyboard issues starting with Windows 11 as well, using MSKLC keyboards, though of a different nature. Within Toolbox, the keyboards work fine, but when switching to another program, the keyboard stays in whatever Toolbox was using, rather than switching to the keyboard set in the other program. This is especially annoying when frequently going back and forth between Toolbox and something else.

Since going into the Windows keyboard menu and choosing is time-consuming (I've got 10 keyboards that Windows sorts in a way that doesn't make sense to me), my current workaround is to make sure that in Toolbox I move to a field with an appropriate keyboard before switching programs.

So, I would agree this is a Windows 11 issue, and not Toolbox.

- Craig Kopris

PS: I haven't tried Keyman keyboards in my setup

hattonjohn gmail

Sep 5, 2023, 3:30:56 PM9/5/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Gail,  I recommend you ask about this on our Keyman support forum here.

Wayne Leman

Sep 5, 2023, 7:34:15 PM9/5/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Gail, another option for you would be to contact the Keyman team. I have found that they really try to help. In spite of that, I ran into some difficulties using Keyman starting with Windows 10. Keyman works fine with most programs under Windows 10 and I assume under Windows 11.

I finally went with the Microsoft keyboard manager that Karen mentioned to you and all the issues disappeared.

Wayne

James McDonald

Jun 27, 2024, 4:46:16 AMJun 27
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I am having problems with Toolbox and keyboards also, but not quite the same. The keyboard changes by itself. This happens whenever Toolbox is the current window and I change from one window within Toolbox to another. It also happens when I open a new entry or change fields in the same entry. I removed all the keyboards that are different from my actual keyboard but it still changes the keyboard to one of those that is no longer installed. This happens only on ASUS computers. How could I remedy this please?

Regards,

James McDonald

ToolBox SIL

Jun 27, 2024, 11:05:53 AMJun 27
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, James,

Toolbox keeps a list of the installed keyboards (that it can see). The choice of keyboard is stored in the Language Encoding.

If moving around inside Toolbox is changing keyboards, then you should make sure that each Language Encoding is using the same keyboard.

Do Project, Language Encodings.
Toolbox will display a list of all the available Language Encodings. Those which are bold are the ones in use in the current data you have loaded.
Select a Language Encoding and click on Modify.
Toolbox will display a complex dialog box with several tabs.
Choose the Options tab.
You will see Keyboard listed on the left, with a drop list of keyboards.
Drop the list and choose the keyboard you want.
image.png
Do the same for all the available Language Encodings.

That *should* stop Toolbox from making apparently arbitrary keyboard changes when you change fields or entries.

The ability to change keyboards according to the Language Encoding is a deliberate feature for folks with more than one script to deal with. I don't know why this project should act so strangely. Did you get Language Encodings from someone else?

Have you re-booted since you removed the unwanted keyboards? Until you have, Toolbox can probably still see them. But regardless, the above should fix the problem inside Toolbox.

If you're still having problems, let me know.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Tony Naden

Jun 28, 2024, 9:24:05 AMJun 28
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
If also using Keyman, check the performance of that also.  I am having troubles with Keyman switching the default keyboard away from ENG.UK in various applications, not just Toolbox. I haven't pursued it because I have got used to compensating (my Keyman keyboards use semicolon deadkey to make the output that of the keytop, not the Keyman output of that key..

--
Address: "Lost Marbles", 31, Reading Road,
Pangbourne, Berks., RG8 7HY  -

Tel.: 01189842368

Most Holy God and Father, hear our prayers for all who strive for peace
and who fight for justice.
Help us today to remember the costs of war, to work for a better tomorrow;
and, as we commend to you lives lost in terror and conflict,
bring us all, in the end, to the peace of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

James McDonald

Jun 29, 2024, 10:11:15 AMJun 29
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

Thank you very much!

It was maybe a question of rebooting but I shall try what you are showing if it still does it.

James