Lexique Pro, MDF, LIFT XML, other fields, specifically \so source

Jason Lee

Nov 28, 2022, 7:49:31 PM11/28/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
When exporting a Toolbox MDF lexicon to display formats such as Lexique Pro (and subsequent formats onwards to LIFT XML, HTML, Android OS and iOS, etc), it seems that there is no straightforward option to include other fields from the lexicon.

Specifically, I would like to include the \so source field (part of MDF) into these exports.

However, there does not appear to be a straightforward way to include the \so source field in these exports.

Is there a way to include \so source? If so, how?

Cheers,

Jason

ToolBox SIL

Nov 28, 2022, 9:14:26 PM11/28/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jason,

It is quite possible to include the \so field. My guess is that you've missed one small thing, but I got the whole process in a screenshot below.

By the way, you don't have to export to get your data into LexiquePro. LP can read your Toolbox data directly and you can specify items to exclude if you don't want all fields. It's the same process as loading the exported file into LP -- just name your dictionary file instead. LP will not modify the file -- though I always feel like it's a good time to make a backup.

But, back to the export options:

First, with your cursor in the file you want to export, do File, Export. Toolbox will show you the list of export processes.
Since you are heading for LP, you will want the Standard Format export. (You can make a new one just for LP if you wish.)
1. Select the Standard Format and click on Modify.
    Toolbox will present you with the dialog box of options for the export.
image.png
2. Be sure that the All Fields option is not checked -- unless you want all fields, in which case you should check that box!
3. Assuming you don't want all fields, click on Select Fields.
4. Locate so in the list of Excluded fields. You may have to scroll.
5. Click on Add. This will put so into the list of Included fields. Note that the list is in alphabetical order, NOT the order that the fields will be output.

Click OK twice to get back to the list of export options. If you are ready, do the export. The \so field should be included with the export this time.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Jason Lee

Nov 29, 2022, 8:29:14 PM11/29/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
I think that you misunderstood my question. Or, rather, I misphrased my question in the first place. It's not an issue with 'Toolbox export' that I'm having. However, it's an issue with Lexique Pro that I'm having initially. Then subsequently an issue with Lexique Pro export to LIFT XML (probably an issue with LIFT XML itself that I'm having) and HTML. I'm just putting this issue in this Toolbox forum because there aren't really any Lexique Pro or LIFT XML forums about.

So, the problem, restated:

I want to include \so 'source' in Lexique Pro.

I want to include \so 'source' in LIFT XML.

I want to include \so 'source' in HTML website dictionary.

I want to include \so 'source' in dictionaries made by Dictionary App Builder:
a) Android dictionaries.
b) iOS dictionaries.

How can I add \so 'source' to the above?

I remember that very old versions on Toolbox MDF export used to include HTML export.

I have a vague recollection of old versions of Lexique Pro allowing one to add custom fields.

Current versions seemed constrained or straitjacket by the LIFT XML format that does not seem to allow the addition of custom fields, to my knowledge. Or even non-core MDF fields like \so source.

Thanks once again.

Jason

ToolBox SIL

Nov 29, 2022, 9:57:02 PM11/29/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Sorry that I misunderstood.

So -- checking that I understand correctly:

Even though the \so field is included in the data you have loaded into LP, it is not appearing.

Is that correct?

--Karen

ToolBox SIL

Nov 29, 2022, 9:57:56 PM11/29/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

If you're receiving this right away, Skype me. I'll be up for another hour or so.

Karen

ToolBox SIL

Nov 29, 2022, 10:27:13 PM11/29/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
So, I dug into LexiquePro and couldn't find any provision for a source field.

Then I experimented with the Lexical Function feature, which allows custom labels. I edited the Bambara dictionary, the first entry. Here's some screenshots:

image.png

This is just to show you that the \lf label will come through and the content of the source field can be put into \ln or possibly one of the other lexical function fields.

NOTE: I'm NOT proposing you edit the LP file, but that you edit the file going into it -- or a copy of it if you're using your main dictionary. You can either do some kind of Replace All or a CC table. (I'd be glad to do the CC for you if you wish.)

Now, whether this will come out the way you want it to in the Lift file is another question. I'm afraid it's late enough here and it's been a wild day, so I'm heading for bed. I know you're several time zones away. I'll look for your reply tomorrow morning (my time) and see if you want any help from me making this or something like it work.

By the way, it's good to hear from you again. It's been several months.

Karen
Toolbox (and occasionally LexiquePro) support

Tony Naden

Nov 30, 2022, 7:29:18 AM11/30/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
This is what I do when LP doesn't accept standard foelds --  just rename the field in the input file to something that does work with LP.

--
Address: "Lost Marbles", 31, Reading Road,
Pangbourne, Berks., RG8 7HY  -

Tel.: 01189842368

Most Holy God and Father, hear our prayers for all who strive for peace
and who fight for justice.
Help us today to remember the costs of war, to work for a better tomorrow;
and, as we commend to you lives lost in terror and conflict,
bring us all, in the end, to the peace of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Tony Naden

Nov 30, 2022, 7:55:09 AM11/30/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Jason's 'straightjacket' term for the LIFT, FLEx &c. formats is the problem  It's for this reason I stick to TOOLBOX and LexiquePro.  Those other formates don't allow for a field that can be bundled with a number of other fields, but logically  \nt  notes and \so can be attached to a number of different instances of a number of different fields, I suppose the only answer is to create a whole family of fields \nylx 'note on the lemma', \ntps 'note on the part of speech', \ntde 'note on the English definition' ... which is impossibly cumbersome.