interlinear impossible

Margaux Dubuis

Dec 6, 2021, 7:42:32 AM12/6/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Dear all,

The tbt project I'm working on beahves on a very wierd manner: my toolbox project, that was working perfectly fine before, does not allow me to interlinarize any more. (I didn't tuch the settings, at all)

I don't get any error message and checked the jump path and interliar setting of my text corpus and they are exactly as they were before, when everything wasworking normally.

Did you have this kind of problems before? if yes, how did you fix it?

Best and thank you for your help!

Margaux

ToolBox Support

Dec 6, 2021, 9:18:45 AM12/6/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like somehow the text file has become write-protected. One thing that can cause this is if you are running two copies of Toolbox. Another is if Toolbox crashed -- when Toolbox runs it write-protects the files it has loaded. If the computer crashes, Toolbox doesn't always get the files un-protected.

Anyway, if the problem is the file is write-protected, the solution is simple.
Close (all copies of) Toolbox.
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder containing your project. DO NOT ENTER the folder.
Right-Click on the folder icon. Windows will offer a small menu.
Choose Properties.
Read-only pop-up menu.png
Windows will bring up a Properties dialog box. At the bottom is "Attributes"
Read-only attribute.png
Click on the Read-only attribute until the box is empty.
You will be asked to confirm
Read-only confirmation.png
Now try running Toolbox again. You should be able to interlinearize your file now.

If that doesn't work, please let me know.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Margaux Dubuis

Dec 9, 2021, 3:31:13 AM12/9/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Dear Karen,

Thank you very much this very clear explanation!

I checked it and  the file was already in read-only mode.

It actually turned out, that the second line of my corpus file (\_DateStampHasFourDigitYear) keeps on being deleted by toolbox (I didn't do it myself). Copy-pasting it back allows me to interlinear again.
Do you have an idea, why this line disapears?

Best

ToolBox Support

Dec 9, 2021, 12:13:31 PM12/9/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Margaux,

You said:
I checked it and  the file was already in read-only mode.
One of us is miscommunicating. The file should NOT be in read-only mode. "Read-only" is the same as "write-protected". The checkbox should be blank. (It has 3 possible values -- checked, filled-in, and blank. You want blank.)

Your comment about the \_DateStampHasFourDigitYear was interesting. You said:
It actually turned out, that the second line of my corpus file (\_DateStampHasFourDigitYear) keeps on being deleted by toolbox (I didn't do it myself). Copy-pasting it back allows me to interlinear again.
Do you have an idea, why this line disapears?
It disappears because Toolbox no longer writes that line. It is from the change to the year 2000 when a number of computer programs discovered they had a problem with the sudden change from two-digit years to four. I don't remember now whether Toolbox just had a problem sorting by date or whether it was worse, but the tag was added to assure the program that all was well (or maybe to take special action?). I forget when we quit writing that line.

That line is not what's behind your problem. But somehow maybe whichever program you are using to edit it is fixing the read-only status... (Seems unlikely, but computers do strange things sometimes.)

My next guess on what is wrong is that you (at least sometimes) run two Toolbox projects. When Toolbox opens a file, it write-protects it. The second project to open the file will find it write-protected. That's to prevent you from editing the file in both projects and therefore losing the changes in whichever one you closed first. Do you ever run more than one Toolbox project? The file you want may be minimized and not even visible on your Toolbox screen (but still there, so still write-protected in the other project).

I'm wondering if you can Skype me at KB9876 --Skype will let you show me your screen. I'd like to see what is happening, because, frankly, it doesn't make much sense to me.

We will get this figured out!

Karen
Toolbox Support

Margaux Dubuis

Dec 17, 2021, 3:28:24 AM12/17/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Dear Karen,

Thanks for your answer! And sorry for my long silence!

The frezzing thing happend again and I'm happy to share my screen wiht you.
Could we rather Zoom? And when would you be available?

Best

ToolBox Support

Dec 17, 2021, 7:55:16 AM12/17/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Zoom is fine for me. Will you be setting it up or shall I?

I am in the US, in Iowa, so the same time zone as Chicago. It is nearly 7am as I write. Where are you? When are you available?

I have a commitment for this morning. Otherwise I'm available. I could even cancel this morning if that is better for you, but I will be out of the house in about an hour and won't be back for about 3 hours. Skype me if you want this morning. I'll turn on that computer.

Karen

Margaux Dubuis

Dec 17, 2021, 11:33:47 AM12/17/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Dear Karen

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Switzerland, so 7 hours ahead.
Could we agree on a day and time per email? (the group doesn't need all this messages, I think)

Best and thank you very much for your help!

Margaux Dubuis

toolbox

Mar 4, 2022, 10:04:50 AM3/4/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
This should have been posted long since. It turned out the problem was that she was using GIT to coordinate with other folks. The solution turned out to be to keep her data out of the area that GIT was overseeing while she was working. She could copy the data over when she was done interlinearizing. Apparently GIT blocked Toolbox's attempts to save the data at the point of interlinearizing. (Toolbox saves data at various points.)

Karen
Toolbox Support