installation under Debian-based Linux (e.g. Ubuntu)

Christophe Pallier

Nov 9, 2018, 1:43:15 PM11/9/18
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Just a bit of information for those who may have difficulties installing Toolbox under Linux

Assuming that Toolbox163.zip and ToolboxNewProject.zip have been downloaded into ~/Downloads

# install wine
sudo apt-get install wine

# install Toolbox
unzip
~/Downloads/Toolbox163.zip
cd
Toolbox163
unzip
~/Downloads/ToolboxNewProject.zip
wine
InstallToolbox163.exe
wine
ToolboxWine163.ex

norm waits

Jan 8, 2019, 2:51:03 PM1/8/19
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Christophe Pallier,
   Thank you for your excellent directions on installing Toolbox163 on Linux!  I'm running UbuntuStudio18.10 and your directions helped to preserve my files, .db, .lex and etc, in the correct format.  I am using CharisSIL fonts and the "smart" function doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu: the Combing Diacritic Mark for acute randomly appears elevated over lowercase ogonek characters for -- i.e., for uppercase characters.  Is there a work-around for this?  The correct Combining Diacritic Mark for acute lowercase appears just fine over lowercase characters in Windows.
     Thanks again! :)