Windows 11 follow-up

Craig Kopris

Nov 24, 2021, 3:03:44 PM11/24/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Toolbox does run fine on Windows 11. However, there is a critical issue with Windows 11 itself that fieldworkers should be aware of.

Windows 11 will not run without an internet connection. Take your Windows 11 laptop to the field where there is no internet, and you will not even be able to sign onto your computer to use offline programs. It will be an electric brick.

This crucial information is not provided during the Windows 11 installation process, which does not create a local account for offline use. There are work-arounds searchable on the internet to get around this during installation, but as these methods become popularized, they are blocked.

Once Windows 11 is installed, there are no work-arounds I've found to allow you use of your computer, except re-installing Windows 11 and trying a work-around then. This however requires wiping the previous installation and losing all data.

Bottom line: until there is a stable method to allow offline use, avoid Windows 11 if you might even occasionally be without internet.

- Craig Kopris

ToolBox Support

Nov 24, 2021, 4:03:54 PM11/24/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Yikes! Thank you, Chris, for figuring this out. This is very bad news!

Toolbox

Asigwan

Nov 25, 2021, 10:58:11 AM11/25/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com

My son says, "You only need internet for initial setup when you install the OS on the Home edition so that you sign in with a Microsoft account. This makes sense. If you use a Microsoft account, then you can't lock yourself out of the computer. Without one, it is very easy to forget your password and then you’re dunzo."

"After that initial setup, you can use Windows with or without internet. You can likely create a local account without internet after that first setup, too. And the Pro edition does not need internet at all - even at the setup."

Crockett

ToolBox Support

Nov 25, 2021, 11:12:40 AM11/25/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this clarification. I had noticed that the work-arounds online only mentioned the Home edition. Anyway, it's good to hear that the internet is only needed when doing the installation.

Toolbox

Craig Kopris

Nov 25, 2021, 2:51:42 PM11/25/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, this is not my experience. Without internet, signing on to the computer was completely blocked with no option to work offline.

- Craig