Interlinearisation with dual-function periods [.]

Jason Lee

Aug 5, 2022, 3:18:43 AM8/5/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
My texts use periods [.] with two functions:

1) As a full-stop at the end of sentences.
2) As a phonological break to distinguish /ŋ/ (written 'ng') from /ng/ (written 'n.g').

How can I get Toolbox interlinear to not treat the latter use as a full-stop?

E.g. I want thisː
mijin            -gu
n., M-class -postposition
mission      -PURP
'for the mission'

Or this:
jirrin.girn
jirrin.girn
owlet.nightjar
'owlet nightjar'

E.g. Not this:
mijin.           gu
mijin            ***
n., M-class ***
mission      ***

Nor this:
jirrin. girn
***     ***
***     ***
***     ***

Thanks in advance.

Jason

ToolBox Support

Aug 5, 2022, 9:34:09 PM8/5/22
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jason,

I think I've got an answer for you!

If you
1) add .g (dot plus g) to your sort order in line with the regular g
2) make an alternate form using the .g for all your suffixes that start with g
3) add an alternate form ending in n. for prefixes which end with n
See the examples below.

It worked for me. This is what I got testing with the above modifications.
\mb mijin       -gu
\ge mission     -PURP
\ps n., M-class -postposition
For the dictionary I did this:
\lx -gu
\a -.gu

For the sort order, I did this:
F f
G g .g
H h

For a prefix ending in n, I had to make something up since you didn't show any examples of that.
\tx non.go
\mb non-  go
\ge neg-  leave
\ps pref- v
\ft stay home
I added this to the made-up dictionary entry non-
\lx non-
\a non.-
(And, as I mentioned, I created the entry for "go".)

Since the affixes are a closed class, it shouldn't be too hard to find and modify the prefixes ending in n and the suffixes starting with g.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Jason Lee

Aug 7, 2022, 10:59:41 PM8/7/22
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Hi Karen,

It looks like you've solved my problem just by adding .g to the language encoding sort order. Haven't needed to add \a to lexicon entries (yet).

Thanks once again!

Jason