Changing one single word toitalic style

Yeou Mohamed

Jun 9, 2019, 6:59:47 PM6/9/19
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Dear Colleagues,
I'm in the process of finalizing my dictionary and printing it as a Word file. I've used
the Word style feature to ditinguish between French "normal style" (national) and Berber "Italic style" (vernacular).
However, often times Berber single words are used for comparison purposes in the definition field, dn\, which is by default formatted
to normal. My question is how to format these single words to italic and keep the whole dn\ field in normal style.
Since I haven't found a way to do this systematically, I have singled out these words by putting them between quotes. Thank you in advance.
Best regards

Nick Thieberger

Jun 9, 2019, 7:04:03 PM6/9/19
to shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox
Hi,

In the Toolbox system using fv: before a word should mark it as being 'foreign' to the language of the field, and it should then come out in a different style in the MDF export.

Nick

Yeou Mohamed

Jun 9, 2019, 7:18:02 PM6/9/19
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox

Dear Nick,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Best

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 08:59, Yeou Mohamed <ye...@ucd.ac.ma> wrote:
Dear Colleagues,
I'm in the process of finalizing my dictionary and printing it as a Word file. I've used
the Word style feature to ditinguish between French "normal style" (national) and Berber "Italic style" (vernacular).
However, often times Berber single words are used for comparison purposes in the definition field, dn\, which is by default formatted
to normal. My question is how to format these single words to italic and keep the whole dn\ field in normal style.
Since I haven't found a way to do this systematically, I have singled out these words by putting them between quotes. Thank you in advance.
Best regards

ToolBox Support

Jun 10, 2019, 6:05:28 PM6/10/19
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
I thank you, too, Nick, for a quick and accurate response.

I'd just like to add a few more details.

fv:  (fv and a colon)  works to mark one word. That word is tagged as character style f_vernacular in Word.

If you have a phrase, you can either mark each word individually or you can connect_the_words_using_underscores. The MDF processing with change the underscores to spaces. An alternative notation:
Instead of fv:words_and_underscores
you can do |fv{words and brackets}
Note the vertical bar before the fv, and no colon, with this alternative notation.

\fv is defined as a marker in the MDF_RTF.typ, which the MDF export uses in the final steps of its processing. That is why the fv: notation works.

This whole process can be generalized. ANY marker can be used in the same manner. So if you wish to cite the scientific name of something (marker \sc) in your definition, you can use sc: for a single word, or the vertical-bar and underlines or the vertical-bar and brackets notation for multiple words. So, you can have either of the three
The Atlantic Bluefin tuna sc:(Thunnus sc:thynnus) ...
The Atlantic Bluefin tuna sc:(Thunnus_thynnus) ...
The Atlantic Bluefin tuna |sc{(Thunnus thynnus)} ...
and it should come out as
 The Atlantic Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) ...
(Or however you specify that the scientific name style should be printed.)

NOTE: In my test, the final parenthesis was not included with the vertical-bar and underlines example, but it was included with the curly brackets example. So if you have closing punctuation that you want included, the curly brackets ensures that everything between them is included.

Karen
Toolbox Support

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM Yeou Mohamed <yeo...@ucd.ac.ma> wrote:

[...]

Nick Thieberger

Jun 15, 2019, 4:03:16 AM6/15/19
to shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox
Does anyone know how to do this in FLEx? That is, to mark a word to be treated as another language within a field?

Nick

David Nash

Jun 18, 2019, 9:12:49 AM6/18/19
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Yes: see the 'Apply Style' section in Help: "you can apply character styles to text in many but not all fields"
David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.