Lexique Pro truncates

TonyNaden

Mar 9, 2021, 12:43:59 PM3/9/21
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
I use Lexique Pro to format my Toolbox output and have produced lots of dictionaries this way.  I now suddenly have a case where the dictionary looks fine in LP but on export to rtf it is truncated at the end of the  'o' s.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have downloaded an new instance of the program as the last problem I had with it was a corrupted *.exe file.

Tony Naden

Mar 9, 2021, 1:21:28 PM3/9/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
headword language is French, maybe a problem with alphabetisation of accented characters?

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 17:44, TonyNaden <lostma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I use Lexique Pro to format my Toolbox output and have produced lots of dictionaries this way.  I now suddenly have a case where the dictionary looks fine in LP but on export to rtf it is truncated at the end of the  'o' s.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have downloaded an new instance of the program as the last problem I had with it was a corrupted *.exe file.

Address: "Lost Marbles", 31, Reading Road,
Pangbourne, Berks., RG8 7HY  -

Tel.: 01189842368

Keep us, good Lord,
under the shadow of your mercy
in this time of uncertainty and distress.
Sustain and support the anxious and fearful,
and lift up all who are brought low;
that we may rejoice in your comfort
knowing that nothing can separate us from your love
in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Amen.

ToolBox Support

Mar 10, 2021, 2:58:23 PM3/10/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Tony sent me his output file and it wasn't exactly that the data stopped half-way through. It was even stranger.

All of his special characters were represented as Alphabetical sections. Nothing else was -- not B, C, etc. Where he had three forms of "A" with diacritics, each was represented -- but not the plain A. In addition, all the "A" data was reprinted under each, diacritic or not. The same situation for E, I, O, U. The C-cedilla was there, not the plain C, but with all the C words. His last special character was the OE combination (Sorry to not hunt these various characters up and pasting them for you.) As with the other vowels, it included the entire O section, not just the two words he had which started with oe. That's why it looked like the dictionary had been cut off after the O section.

I carefully checked the Toolbox source file, and there was no duplication like that there.

I experimented a bit in LexiquePro, with the French sort order but not specifying any case relationships. I found that even in the LexiquePro display, the OE had its own section which was absolutely linked to the O section -- I added a letter at the end of the first word and it was changed in both. None of the other special characters had anything unusual at that time. (I haven't gone back and done the case relationships.) The only way to get rid of that extra O section was to completely remove the OE (and oe) from the sort order. Then LP put it at the end but it only had the two oe entries. This was not visible by scrolling down the list of words but it appeared in the Export as Document and there was a button on the right edge.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I've recently done LP with a totally non-roman script so I can't imagine it being messed up with a few standard accented vowels.

I'm running version 3.6 of LexiquePro. I think it's the latest.

Thanks.

Karen
Toolbox (and some minor LexiquePro) Support

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox/CANW%2Bcj4n0KLxn_Ycw926epuTiUvKjnDNHGQMyGhHNhZhYRmi%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Wayne Leman

Mar 10, 2021, 3:07:04 PM3/10/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com

Karen, I'm also running LP 3.6, and it is the latest version. I have asked and there will be no further updates to LP.

I used LP all the time. I've never seen this strange behavior with the special characters.

Wayne

Nick Thieberger

Mar 10, 2021, 3:38:54 PM3/10/21
to shoeboxtoolbox-field-linguists-toolbox
I recall this problem and had to test which character caused the glitch, progressively converting the character and exporting again until the whole dictionary came out.

At the time it was the only way to do this and we produced three dictionaries of Vanuatu online using LexiquePro for which I am very grateful. But LP hasn't been updated since 20012 so it is probably on its last legs.

Cheers,
Nick