Dr.Watson caused by Grab Path

1 view

universam

Aug 14, 2006, 10:37:41 AM8/14/06
to Shell Extensions
Hallo!

I'm getting frequently Dr.Watson errors in explorer.exe when i try to
use Grab Path extension. It seems to happen espacially when I'm not
cleaning the clipboard.

Is there an solution for this problem, because we are thinking about
providing this sw in our company.

Thank you for your support and that great "swiss army knife"!

universam

stl...@hotmail.com

Aug 15, 2006, 3:54:29 AM8/15/06
to Shell Extensions
universam wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I'm getting frequently Dr.Watson errors in explorer.exe when i try to
> use Grab Path extension. It seems to happen espacially when I'm not
> cleaning the clipboard.

That's not good.

> Is there an solution for this problem, because we are thinking about
> providing this sw in our company.

I'm sure there is. Can you answer the following:

- what operating system are you using?
- can you describe exactly what you're doing, i.e. are you grabbing one
file, or several, or a directory, or several, or a mix of all types?
- are you using the latest version (2.0.1)?
- what is the message you get when the error happens?

> Thank you for your support and that great "swiss army knife"!

You're welcome.

Matthew

universam

Aug 15, 2006, 5:36:05 AM8/15/06
to Shell Extensions
Hallo!

Thanks for your reply!

> - what operating system are you using?

XP SP2 with all Hotfixes

> - can you describe exactly what you're doing, i.e. are you grabbing one
> file, or several, or a directory, or several, or a mix of all types?

Mixing all types. Happens espacially in Folders with lots of files,
like 'system32' or so.

> - are you using the latest version (2.0.1)?

yes. I tried the older versions and they did work. Is there a problem
when just installing Grab Path from this suite. Missing dlls or so?

> - what is the message you get when the error happens?

explorer is dying right away. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes
Dr.Watson coming up but then running himself into postmortal error so I
can't even send you a log...

> You're welcome.
Thank you to!

Samuel

stl...@hotmail.com

Aug 15, 2006, 9:52:59 AM8/15/06
to Shell Extensions
Thanks for the info.

I've released an update - 2.0.2 - on the website: download from
http://shellext.com. Hopefully this fixes your problem.

If it does not, the updated extensions contain a facility for switching
high logging levels on. If you continue to have problems, I'll let you
know what to do - a simple addition of a registry key/value - via
email.

Eventually, I'll provide a utility along with the installer that allows
switching this on, and monitoring the output.

Cheers

Matthew

universam

Aug 16, 2006, 5:40:47 AM8/16/06
to Shell Extensions
Hi!

> I've released an update - 2.0.2 - on the website: download from
> http://shellext.com. Hopefully this fixes your problem.

YES it did! I'm impressed! I've never seen such a quick respond!

So far we tested it, there is no more problem occuring. We will deploy
it in our company because it's an really nice and practical tool.

Once more thank you for your quick help, we here in the IT-Dept are
very impressed!
:-)

Samuel

stl...@hotmail.com

Aug 16, 2006, 6:51:00 AM8/16/06
to Shell Extensions
> > I've released an update - 2.0.2 - on the website: download from
> > http://shellext.com. Hopefully this fixes your problem.
>
> YES it did! I'm impressed! I've never seen such a quick respond!

Good. Sorry for the fluff. :$

If it's any compensation, it's a bug that's been in there a long time.
I suspect that the peculiarities of your system elicited a particularly
severe reaction. I assume it's not caused problems in the past, as
no-one's reported it before.

> So far we tested it, there is no more problem occuring. We will deploy
> it in our company because it's an really nice and practical tool.

Excellent!

FWIW: I'm always on the lookout for more shell extension ideas, so feel
free to mention them here. (I have some pretty good code generators for
creating new projects, so a new one's not as huge a task as one might
imagine.)

> Once more thank you for your quick help, we here in the IT-Dept are
> very impressed!
> :-)

Well, I pride myself on the quality of the software that I write, even
the stuff that I give away for free, and it stings when I've not kept
up the standard. ;-)

Cheers

Matthew

Matthew Wilson