Under A Raging Moon - The review

AttkBeast

Oct 7, 2006, 12:31:26 PM10/7/06
to Seattle Screenwriters
This is not so much screenwriting but, Frank Zafiro is a fellow writer
so I am posting my review of his book here.

I'm probably not the best person to review this book. In fact, I know
I'm not because there's no way around my bias. Simply put, if you've
ever been in law enforcement (like me), or know and understand what
they go through every shift (like me), or even watching an episode of
"Cops" gets you all psyched up (uhh, ok it's been along time since I've
actually watched) you will love reading "Under A Raging Moon".

So what if you're not the person described above. It's still worth a
read because it is written in a style that puts you in the action right
away. Which, aside from being a cop story, is another reason I liked
it. Frank puts you on this roller coaster ride (cliche, sorry) of ups
and downs from beginning to end. Also, his ensemble cast of characters
are very interesting, keeping you involved in the story and their
lives. Even the "bad guys" draw you in and not there simply as filler.

As a writer myself, I couldn't help but look for flaws or
inconsistencies. I watched how the words flowed and paid attention to
anything that didn't support the story. Frank did a great job of
leaving all of those out. It had a natural flow. Everything either
kept you moving down this mysterious path or served to establish a
character and his/her part in the story.

When you read this book and start learning who the characters are, you
will be excited to know that this is the first book of a series.
Because by the end you will have befriended the cast and want to get to
know them better. And speaking of the end, it was very satisfying.
What does that mean?.....hmmm.

I listened to the screenwriter commentary on my "Pirates of the
Carribean 1" today. I believe it was Terry Rossio or Ted Elliot who
gave their five rules of screenwriting which I think apply to
traditional writing as well...1 & 2 "No book ends." 3 is "Never kill
the dog." 4 is "Save the kiss til the end". And 5 is "Feel free to
disagree with all these rules." I think Frank followed the "rules"
well, though I don't remember a dog.

And I'll finish with this, if you want to write a book, if you want to
write a screenplay, etc., then write it! Let nothing hold you back,
not even yourself.

Keep writing,
Scott