Hawaii pelagic from Kauai - anyone know a good boat/captain?

Elaine Cook

Dec 24, 2019, 8:24:13 AM12/24/19
to Seabird News
Advice on chartering a boat for Hawaiian Petrel / Newell's Shearwater in May 2020.

Hi - three keen pelagic birders are planning a trip to Hawaii next year. The top priority for us is one or two pelagics off Kauai going round Lehau and along Niihau.  Because this is almost certainly going to be our only trip ever to Hawaii we want to find the balance between highest chances for Hawaiian Petrel and Newell’s Shearwaters and lowest chances of being weathered out.  We would very much like advice on what time would be best.  We’re thinking that May would probably have less chance of being weathered out than April?  So maybe something like the 15th to 25th of May?  Also, if anyone knows a captain of a boat that goes to Niihau (someone told us that most won't), we'd be grateful for any suggestions. Finally - there is probably space for extra people, let me know if you're interested in coming out with us. Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

R. D. Wallace

Dec 26, 2019, 4:41:16 PM12/26/19
to Seabird News
There are several snorkeling trips out of Port Allen harbor on the west coast of Kauai that go across the channel to Lehua island. It goes over deep water and we saw Hawaiian Petrel, Bulwers Petrel, Wedge-tailed Shearwater, Noddies, both Tropicbirds and Band- rumped Storm Petrels in early June. Others have seen Christmas Shearwater on this trip. There is a large catamaran that hold 40+ people and costs $150 or so and is a good viewing platform.