SHEARWATER JOURNEYS: OCT. 6 MONTEREY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT

DEBRA SHEARWATER

Oct 8, 2018, 2:48:39 PM10/8/18
to Seabird News Google Group
Howdy, SEABirders,

This is a report for Shearwater Journeys’ October 6, 2018 pelagic trip departing from Monterey’s Fisherman’s Wharf. Due to the impending marine forecast calling for gusts to 40 knots, our captain canceled the October 7 pelagic trip which was scheduled to depart from Half Moon Bay as previously announced.

The morning dawned bright red at the harbor in Monterey on October 6, making for some beautiful sunrise photographs. “Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning.” A BALD EAGLE flew over the harbor while I was doing the orientation.

We put the pedal to the metal and immediately headed north for offshore Davenport where we would have some protection once the wind picked up. We had views of a PIGEON GUILLEMOT and some BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS, first. We crossed the border into Santa Cruz County at 10:30 a.m., almost a record early time.

En route, and in both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, we enjoyed close views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, NORTHERN FULMAR; PINK-FOOTED, SOOTY, and BULLER’S SHEARWATERS; one ASHY STORM-PETREL; RED and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES; POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEGERS; COMMON MURRES; one CASSIN’S and lots of RHINOCEROS AUKLETS.

A great time was had with the first of the season for all of California (according to eBird) BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE and 2 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS. The kittiwake crossed the county line and thus was recorded for both counties. One skua was found in each county. They were attracted to the flock of gulls following our vessel. Lots of great images of the kittiwake were made by the many photographers on board.

We turned tail from the wind in the early afternoon and made our way back to the harbor in a following sea.

Marine mammals included half a dozen RISSO’S DOLPHINS in the morning, 2 DALL’S PORPOISE and a baker’s dozen of HUMPBACK WHALES, some breaching and tail-lobbing.

NOAA is forecasting a southerly surge for tomorrow from Hurricane Sergio. This could bring more seabirds from the south to Monterey Bay by the end of the week, possibly boobies, more Black-vented Shearwaters, murrelets, or just about any warm water seabird— from tropicbird to Wedge-tailed Shearwater. This Saturday’s trip could be very interesting.

Upcoming trips with spaces available, both departures from Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey:
SAT. OCT. 13 with Scott & Linda Terrill, Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Debi Shearwater
SUN. OCT. 21 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater

To make a RESERVATION, please email me: de...@shearwaterjourneys.com.

Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 25 June - 9 July 2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019