Monterey Bay Birding Festival News & Changes

DEBRA SHEARWATER

Sep 26, 2018, 2:28:31 PM9/26/18
to Seabird News Google Group
Howdy, Birders,

Please join me at the Monterey Bay Birding Festival, September 27 to 30, headquartered at the top floor of the Watsonville Civic Plaza, 275 Main Street, Watsonville. http://www.montereybaybirding.org Seabirds are prominently featured at this year’s festival!

From California Condors to Black-footed Albatrosses, Wrentits to Ashy Storm-Petrels, bobcats to blue whales, the richness and diversity of wildlife in this area is astounding. A great selection of field trips are on offer covering nearly all of the hottest birding sites in the region. Workshops include bird photography, scientific illustration of birds, and decoy bird carving to name a few. Kayaking and slough safari trips are available at Elkhorn Slough.

Pelagic trips by Shearwater Journeys are scheduled for all three days, with spaces available on all trips. All trips run from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. For reservations, email Debi Shearwater: de...@shearwaterjourneys.com. It is possible to get on board, even at the last minute. Each trip is $140/person. We give parking vouchers which save you $10 on exiting the parking lot at the end of the day.

The leader line up for these trips:
FRI. SEP. 28 with Alex Rinkert, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater, Tom & Beth Hamel.
SAT. SEP. 29 with Steve Tucker, Sahas Barve, Marcel Holyoak, Clay Kempf, Debi Shearwater.
SUN. SEP. 30 with Alex Rinkert, Sahas Barve, Debi Shearwater, Tom & Beth Hamel.

Special Guest: Liz Gordon of the American Birding Association will be on board the Sat. and Sun. trips.

NEWS: FRIDAY KEYNOTE SPEAKER CHANGED
A family emergency has called the scheduled keynote speaker for Friday, Sep. 28 away.
I shall be presenting the keynote speech on Friday night, “40 Years of California Seabirding.”
The keynote will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the festival headquarters in Watsonville.
The fee to attend the keynote is $15/person if you are not registered for the full festival. If you are registered for the full festival, the keynote is included.

THE ABA LUDLOW GRISCOM AWARD for OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS in REGIONAL ORNITHOLOGY will be presented on Saturday, Sep. 29 at 7 p.m. by Liz Gordon, prior to the keynote speech by Jonathan Franzen.
I am honored and gratified to be the recipient of this award for advancing the knowledge of seabird status and distribution. Ann Nightingale nominated me for this award. In reality, the award is shared by the many thousands of birders who have ventured offshore with me during the past 43 years, and continue to do so today. Thank you so much. I hope to see you there!
The fee to attend the keynote and award presentation is $15/person if you are not registered for the full festival. If you are registered for the full festival, the keynote is included.

I hope to see you this weekend, either on a boat, or at the festival!
Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 25 June - 9 July 2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019