OCTOBER 13, 2018 REPORT: MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA

DEBRA SHEARWATER

Oct 15, 2018, 1:31:19 PM10/15/18
to Seabird News Google Group
Howdy, SEABirders,

The highlight of Shearwater Journeys’ October 13, 2018 Monterey Bay pelagic trip was a MASKED BOOBY, only the third record for Santa Cruz County.

It was a beautiful, calm day at sea with many highlights, including six species of shearwaters: SOOTY, SHORT-TAILED, PINK-FOOTED, MANX, BLACK-VENTED, and BULLER’S. We also had wonderful views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEGERS, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, RED and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, and RHINOCEROS AUKLETS.

Marine mammals included at least 20 humpback whales, 150 Pacific white-sided dolphins, 10 Northern right whale dolphins, 28 Risso’s dolphins, and one Northern fur seal, and the usual California sea lions and sea otters.

The MASKED BOOBY was spotted about 11:40 a.m., attracted to the flock of gulls behind our vessel. It made a quick pass, flying rapidly off our bow. A dramatic chase by our Captain Tinker ensued! The booby landed on the sea with a small flock of gulls. Careful approach by our vessel allowed for a positive ID and a great many images! This was a lot of fun!

Our last pelagic trip of the season is Sunday, OCTOBER 21 with leaders Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater. Spaces are available. For a reservation, please email me: de...@shearwaterjourneys.com.

The complete species list for OCTOBER 13, 2018 Shearwater Journeys’ trip covering both MONTEREY/SANTA CRUZ COUNTIES follows:

PACIFIC LOON: 1/0
COMMON LOON: 7/11
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS: 3/2
NORTHERN FULMAR: 3/6
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER: 160/205
BULLER’S SHEARWATER: 6/6
SOOTY SHEARWATER: 120/32
SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER: 3/0
MANX SHEARWATER: 1/0
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER: 2/0
**MASKED BOOBY: 0/1
BROWN PELICAN: 115/2
BRANDT’S CORMORANT: 150/3
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT: 1/0
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE: 60/6
RED PHALAROPE: 13/0
SOUTH POLAR SKUA: 1/1
POMARINE JAEGER: 0/1
PARASITIC JAEGER: 2/0
BONAPARTE’S GULL: 2/0
HEERMANN’S GULL: 28/0
CALIFORNIA GULL: 115/96
HERRING GULL: 2/0
WESTERN GULL: 365/108
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: 1/0
ELEGANT TERN: 60/0
COMMON MURRE: 285/185
PIGEON GUILLEMOT: 1/0
CASSIN’S AUKLET: 6/1
RHINOCEROS AUKLET: 470/155
OSPREY:1/0
PEREGRINE FALCON: 1/0
WOOD DUCK: 1/0
WARBLER SP.:1/0

The leaders for October 13 included: Scott and Linda Terrill, Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, and Debi Shearwater. Special thanks to Nick for carrying my great pyrenees doggie, on and off the boat. It was her first pelagic trip and I think it will be her last! She’s not a sailor dog!

See you out there! One more trip for 2018!
Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 25 June - 9 July 2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019