Ogasawara Islands Ferry Trip 14-19 September

Hiroyuki TANOI

Sep 26, 2018, 3:50:54 AM9/26/18
to Seabird News
Dear seabirders,

We boarded ferry of Ogasawara (Bonin) Islands last week.
We could observe a Bryan's Shearwaer off Muko-jima, Bonin Islands 18 Sep. I posted the video taken by my wife at the following URL (probably world's first Bryan's Shearwater's video).

We also observed a Stejneger's Petrel and a White-necked Petrel.
The results of this time are as follows.

14-15 and 18-19 September 2018. Tokyo-Chichi-jima, Bonin islands.
11:00 Tokyo (14 Sep) – 11:00 Chichi-jima (15 Sep) – 15:30 Chichi-jima (18 Sep)  – 15:30 (19 Sep) Tokyo.

Providence Petrel -17
White-necked Petrel (Vanuatu-type) -1
Bonin Petrel -13
Stejneger's Petrel -1
Streaked Shearwater -10,000<
Wedge-tailed Shearwater -622
Bannerman's Shearwater -4
Bryan's Shearwater -1
Bulwer's Petrel -342
Swinhoe’s Storm Petrel -2
Leach's Storm Petrel -1
Long-tailed Jaeger -1
Skua sp. (Long-tailed or Arctic) -3
Brown Booby
Red-footed Booby -2
Sooty Tern -5
Common Tern -100+
Brown Noddy -65
Red-necked Phalarope -31
Phalarope sp. -44+

Cetaceans
Pygmy Sperm Whale -1

Bonus
Buff-breasted Sandpiper -1
We luckily observed a bird at Haha-jima, Bonin Islands 15-16 Sep.

*Stejneger's Petrel was seen off Izu-Oshima, Izu Islands.
It is a species that can be seen at 300 km off the east of Japan, but very rare in coastal areas.

*White-necked Petrel (Vanuatu-type) was seen off north of Muko-jima, Bonin Islands.
Although the black range of under primaries was wide, I heard that Vanuatu and White-necked can not be distinguished reliably from this point.

Cheers.