Sad to Report: Fatal train/bike crash at Roselle today

Serge Issakov

Jun 14, 2024, 7:55:58 PMJun 14
to SD Bicyclist Forum

Sorrento Valley RR XING at Roselle.

Sounds like cyclist ignored the gate bar...
And the roar/bell of the train?

Bizarre.

Serge

———

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — First responders and deputies responded to reports of a fatal train accident in San Diego Friday afternoon. It has been confirmed the victim was a minor.

Deputies with the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office are investigating a fatal train vs pedestrian accident that happened in the University City area around 1 p.m. Friday.

A spokesperson with the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency told FOX 5/KUSI the accident involved an Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train and a minor riding a bicycle.

The accident happened at the intersection with Roselle Street and Sorrento Valley Road, at the end of I-805 in San Diego.

The San Diego Police Department confirmed to FOX 5/KUSI the bicyclist’s injuries were fatal. Authorities have not provided an exact age for the victim at this time.

Several lanes are closed in the area as police are routing traffic around the scene.

Pacific Surfliner and COASTER service is currently impacted while the train tracks remain closed and law enforcement investigates the incident, according to the LOSSAN Rail spokesperson.

John Eldon

Jun 14, 2024, 8:14:56 PMJun 14
to SD Bicyclist Forum, Serge Issakov
17-year-old kid, according to the NCTD official who was directing people onto various buses and trains.

When a pedestrian is involved, it is usually a suicide, but it seems bizarre and improbable to commit suicide-by-train on a bicycle.

Southbound train. The southbound Coasters go very slowly through that intersection because they are accelerating from the Sorrento Valley station stop. The Amtraks buzz through at 90mph on the straight and level track, so I suspect he misjudged the train's speed

John

Serge Issakov

Jun 15, 2024, 8:18:44 AMJun 15
to John Eldon, SD Bicyclist Forum
The sheriff’s office said in an update Friday evening that witnesses at the scene told deputies three boys were riding their bicycles and stopped at the crossing arms to allow the northbound train to pass. After the northbound train passed, the 17-year-old teen crossed the tracks on his bicycle not realizing there was also a passing southbound train.”

Oh! I’ve seen that happen.  Train goes by but arms stay down. “Is there something wrong?”, you think.  And then the second train goes by from the other direction  “oh…”.

Don’t go around the arms

Serge

John Eldon

Jun 15, 2024, 8:22:28 AMJun 15
to Serge Issakov, SD Bicyclist Forum
Thank you for the update, Serge. That explains everything. This must be heartbreaking for the parents and grandparents. This is why my elder son and I are so strict when either of us takes his boys for a bike ride.