Cycling like a Dutchman - an aspirational message

Jim Baross

Feb 7, 2024, 5:22:22 PMFeb 7
to Cabo Forum, San Diego Bike Forum, Keep San Diego Moving
I hope that you can access/read this New Yorker article about an American family's experience with bicycling "like a Dutchman." Learning to use a bicycle as though Bikes and Bicyclists Belong.

Jim Baross
Board Member, League of American Bicyclists
President, Calif. Assoc. of Bicycling Organizations
Board Member, San Diego County Bicycle Coalition

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
02/07/24, 02:17:55 PM

Jim Baross

Feb 7, 2024, 5:40:52 PMFeb 7
to Cabo Forum, San Diego Bike Forum, Keep San Diego Moving
Quoted from the story -
"Since returning home, I’ve made a conscious decision to ride differently on American streets. I pedal like a Dutchman: confidently, with no helmet, and taking up my fair share of the street. I’ve spent many an afternoon trundling along the quieter parts of my suburban neighborhood, a couple of cars lining up behind me as I approach an intersection. I enjoy playing big on the road, and making drivers recognize that I belong in that space just as much as they do. (If I’m lucky, none of them will hit me.)"

Jim Baross
Board Member, League of American Bicyclists
President, Calif. Assoc. of Bicycling Organizations
Board Member, San Diego County Bicycle Coalition

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
02/07/24, 02:39:19 PM