Is the 44 Boom Vang necessary?

crashm...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2017, 3:11:50 PM12/14/17
to Saint Francis Owners Group
I am designing a single line reefing system for SandDallor and would like to lead the reefing lines from the mast to the coach roof then the starboard mainsail sheet winch.  The boom vang ensures that I have to lead the reefing lines at a 45 degree angle in order to miss the sweep of the boom vang, something not too aesthetic.  I have not seen a need for the boom vang while sailing unless I were to go almost dead downwind with the main all the way out (why would I with headsails and spinnakers...)  Am I missing something?

Tom

Royce Reid

Dec 15, 2017, 7:57:28 AM12/15/17
to saintf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom! I have found we use the boom vang on almost every point of sail to stop chaffe on the mainsail, as I find the boom bounces up and down, working all the rigging and occasionally shock loading the traveler and the main sheet. I just snug the vang with a bit of pressure. I find without the vang the bouncing up and down releases the leech... also resulting in a little lost drive.

If you are day sailing it probably doesn't make much difference. Also a little note... when I'm sailing downwind I almost alsways also have the main up but at least double Reefed. This allows me to get the boom out a long way without the sails hitting the stays and I personally find it a much more stable ride, even in fairly heavy seas. For me the vang maintains the sail shape and is also a safety backup... If i break the main sheet traveler or that system, I would not be able to use the sail without the vang as I would rip more things off the deck. Sorry but of a ramble.... not too many cats out there without some type of vang.