Anchor Choices ?

Paul Allinson

Aug 14, 2016, 7:29:25 PM8/14/16
to Saint Francis Owners Group
We're considering anchors at the moment and are focused primarily on either Rocna or Spade.
I realize this like asking folks what kind of music they like but .................... dialog is good right ?
What has worked well for you and what would you avoid ?
Paul

motoyu...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2016, 8:27:55 PM8/14/16
to saintf...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Paul.
I have been using Rocna for 4 years and no drag experience. I had delta before, but 4 times drag under high wind, about 40 knots. I do no trust plow type since then. I highly recommend Rocna.

Motoyuki Sato
SV Umineko, St.Francis 43 hull №1

Aug 17, 2016, 8:10:53 PM8/17/16
to Saint Francis Owners Group
Hi Paul, when we moved from Australia to the USA 4 years ago we took with us our Australian made Anchor Right Super Sarca anchor. I think it is a size 7 and 25KG. I am so glad I did. Luckily my wife's company were paying the freight on the moving costs. The first weekend out on our SF50 in the Cheasapeake Bay the Delta anchor failed to set twice in the mud. I changed over to the Anchor Right and it set first time. In the 4 years we have used it the only time it dragged was when it had set with a piece of old rode caught it preventing it from setting correctly. Once after a huge almost 180 degree wind shift it drifted out of the tight range of the anchor alarm setting on the Chart Plotter. I dived on the anchor to see what it did. I could see the track in the sand where it reset firmly again in about 6-8 feet. Very comforting. On the Anchor Right web site there is a very interesting true account of someone having the same anchor we have in the Tsunami that took place in Indonesia about 10 years ago.
Regards Ian

Paul Allinson

Aug 17, 2016, 9:10:18 PM8/17/16
to Saint Francis Owners Group
Ian, thanks for sharing your 180 wind shift 0 that is impressive. I looked their website and the configuration looks quite similar to the Rocna but there may be differences.
What experience do others have ? It would be great if you can share experience similar to Ian's description.
Paul

Randy Abernethy

Aug 18, 2016, 1:34:31 AM8/18/16
to saintf...@googlegroups.com
We have a Rocna 40 and it has been flawless for 10 years.