We are currently on the lookout for a postdoctoral researcher to work on the project "Technology and Citizen Technoscience: Connecting Local Environments with the Ecological Crisis" to be developed in the context of the 2023–2025 Prince Claus Chair. The postdoc will be based at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) at Erasmus University (The Hague, The Netherlands) and work closely with the PCC chairholder for this period, Prof. Sebastián Ureta (Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile).
The postdoctoral researcher will be tasked with exploring ethnographically the afterlives of a limited number of citizen technoscience projects (understood as citizen/community science projects aiming at developing low-cost DIY technologies) carried out in the global south in the last decade. The general aim will be to analyse the barriers these projects faced on further mobilizing the devices they developed for the participative assessment and/or remediation of environmental degradation.
- Conducting ethnographic fieldwork in Chile and other locations in the global south (to be determined) and working closely with the PCC and host of the PCC at ISS in The Netherlands
- Writing and publishing peer-reviewed publications emanating from the research of the PCC 2023-5
- Organizing an outreach initiative (to be determined) directed to the general public emanating from the research of the PCC 2023-5
- Performing relevant PCC administrative and committee duties
- A PhD in Anthropology, Science and Technology Studies, Sociology, Development Studies or related disciplines
- Ability to do sustained collaborative ethnographic fieldwork in locations in the global south
- A strong publication record in accordance with her/his career stage
- Appropriate communication and language skills in English and other language (ideally Spanish) to carry out fieldwork at community level
- Availability to live and work in The Hague, The Netherlands for dedicated periods
The start date of this position is 01-DEC-2023 (negotiable).
Please submit your application before the vacancy closing date of September 18th 2023 through the website https://www.eur.nl/en/vacancies/postdoctoral-researcher-prince-claus-chair and make sure all required documents are combined in one PDF in the order mentioned below.
- A motivation letter (2 pages maximum) illustrating expertise in the fields of science and technology studies, community development and environmental justice; citizen science and maker cultures, technoscience in the global south.
- A CV in English (including the names of two referees)
- A recent publication in English
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Lorenzo Pellegrini via pelle...@iss.nl. For more information about the research project, please contact Sebastian Ureta via sur...@uc.cl
We look forward to receiving your application!
Universidad Católica de Chile