For the Record

rhwest...@yahoo.com

Feb 24, 2009, 2:30:42 PM2/24/09
to SS United States
Just some of the things the SS United States Foundation has
accomplished in the past six years (the first two could not be carried
beyond the work of the foundation without support from NCL which never
materialized):

•Nominating the United States for the National Trust for Historic
Preservation’s “11 Most Endangered Historic Sites” list (2005).

•Initiated work for listing the Big U as a National Landmark (the next
highest designation beyond placing on the National Register of
Historic Places—2005).

•Public lectures and meetings in both Philadelphia and New York
attended by hundreds of supporters (04/05/06).

•A DVD multi-media presentation and new ad campaign by SmithGifford
(05/06/07/08).

•Extensive national media placements (ongoing)

•Advocating in Congress (meeting with elected officials distributing
SSUSF materials—ongoing.)

Yes, compared to the amazing accomplishments of the six years before
this, it would seem the Foundation didn’t accomplish “anything” and
perhaps in the strictest interpretation we didn’t. But in our defense,
we didn’t have the ear of NCL. We didn’t get funding from them. We did
what we could and I for one am proud of what we did. It’s too bad Mr.
McSweeney can’t see these accomplishments for what they were and more
importantly how the Conservancy should have supported them. Because
had they, we would have been talking about saving a National Landmark
right now.

Enough said. Enough read. Let’s just do this.

Robert Hudson Westover
Chairman,
SS United States Foundation
Washington, DC