Thanks for the memories...

Robert

Mar 29, 2010, 10:12:30 AM3/29/10
to SS United States
March 28, 2010 – Dan Trachtenberg, Chairman of the SS United States
Foundation, recently announced the organization would cease operations
“in order to present the most unified, concise vision possible
regarding the future of our beloved vessel…” The Foundation website
will now direct visitors to the SS United States Conservancy site and
will encourage its membership to support Conservancy efforts on behalf
of the ship.

It’s safe to say that the Foundation re-introduced the American public
to the history and plight of our great national flagship and for that,
true believers in the SS United States should be deeply thankful.

“They really did a lot to kick-start the movement to save this
irreplaceable national icon,” said Dan McSweeney, who currently serves
as Executive Director of the Conservancy. “Dan Trachtenberg has been
a part of the SS United States preservation movement for well over ten
years and he’s never waivered in lending an encouraging word to those
who share his vision for saving the ship at any and all costs.”

The Foundation scored major media placements in the late 1990s and
early 2000s under the leadership of Robert Hudson Westover, who
founded the organization.

“Robert’s efforts will not be forgotten. His enthusiasm attracted
many supporters who went off to pursue their own efforts on behalf of
the ship,” said McSweeney. “He was a resonant voice in support of a
deep and strong vision to ensure this great ship is not lost.”

The Conservancy thanks the Foundation for its many years on behalf of
the “Big Ship.” We are glad to be combining the different
organizations that have worked to ”Save Our Ship” and understand the
importance of unified effort, both in order to maximize impacts and
minimize confusion about how members of the public can join the cause
of ensuring the SS United States is not lost to future generations of
Americans.

“This is a time for unity,” said Conservancy Board President Susan
Gibbs. “There is much hard work to be done.”