Chairman Westover Stepping Down

Robert Westover

Aug 10, 2009, 4:18:49 PM8/10/09
to SS United States
Effective upon the announcement by the board of directors of the SS
United States Foundation of a new leader, I will no longer serve as
Chairman of the SS United States Foundation. It’s been an incredible
twelve years and I have been honored to lead and inspire those seeking
to Save the United States. When news arrived that Norwegian Cruise
Lines would no longer attempt to refit the Big U, I knew a tremendous
effort would have to be launched to bring the type of attention needed
to make an 11th hour and 59th minute rescue necessary.

However, after over a decade of countless hours working to save our
great national flagship, I knew I didn’t have the stamina for another
full throttled battle. Unfortunately, my doctor confirmed this and
without getting into details, I need to ease my load somewhat—at least
for now. But don’t think for a minute I’ve completely resigned my
effort. I will continue to fight on through social marketing efforts
and occasional visits to thought influencers when and where the board
of directors deems it appropriate.

Our accomplishments over these twelve years have been tremendous. Some
of the highlights include:

•Placement of the SS United States on the National Register of
Historic Places
•Two front page national sections stories in the New York Times (the
first such national coverage in nearly fifty years)
•Repeat national and international broadcast exposure on ABC World
News Tonight, CNN Live and the World News Service of the BBC
•The Addy award winning advertising campaign “Save the United States”
•Yahoo.com’s 2003 “Website of the Day” for www.ssunitedstates.org
•The book “SS United States Fastest Ship in the World” now in its
third printing
•And, most importantly, building a national movement from scrap with
an active membership and supporters base of thousands!

If this ship is saved, it will not be because of any one person, or
even an one organization, it will be because we as a group of
dedicated enthusiasts inspired a nation to save one of it’s most
unique and irreplaceable treasures. I will go down with this ship. I
will not give up the fight. God bless all of you and God “Save the
United States”!

Robert Hudson Westover
Founding Chairman
SS United States Foundation
Washington, DC

Some of the latest stuff:

Turning Publish is reprinting the popular “SS United States Fastest
Ship in the World”! To get a copy go to: http://www.turnerpublishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=528
This two-hundred page plus coffee table book contain more photos and
color pictures than any other book ever printed about the SS United
States. It’s considered a most have by maritime historians and a most
read by ocean liner enthusiasts.

Recent Media on the effort to Save the United States:

The Examiner

Help save the SS United States tonight at IKEA South Philly
The SS United States Conservancy and IKEA South Philadelphia will join
together tonight for an Outreach Event and Campaign Update focusing on
the preservation and restoration of the cruise liner/naval auxiliary
ship, the SS United States. Beginning at 6 until 8 p.m., a buffet
dinner and program discussing the vessel’s history and future will
occur at IKEA South Philadelphia Restaurant and Café, 2206 South
Columbus Boulevard, which provides a waterfront view of the ship and
Pier 81 on the Delaware River where she is docked.
For the full story go to:
http://www.examiner.com/x-10357-Philadelphia-Cultural-Events-Examiner~y2009m7d31-Help-save-the-SS-United-States-tonight-at-IKEA-South-Philly

ABC News

PHILADELPHIA - July 30, 2009 -- Philanthropist H.F. "Gerry" Lenfest
has pledged a $300,000 matching grant to help a nonprofit buy a
historic cruise ship that is rusting away on Philadelphia's
waterfront. (The comment about the SS United States Foundation is
incorrect. The event mentioned was hosted by the SS United States
Conservancy)
For the full story go to:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6940350

The Post and Courier
Ship lovers fear fabled liner lost

Bill Wood has marveled at the Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley. But
the fate that likely awaits the cruise ship S.S. United States has
left him and other ship enthusiasts from the Carolinas teetering on
depression.
For the full story go to:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/feb/18/ship_lovers_fear_fabled_liner_lost72017/

South Philly Review
Shipping out

Before the SS United States relocated to her current home of the last
13 years at Pier 82 across from IKEA, she was moored for about a week
a bit farther south at Packer Avenue Marine Terminal.
For the full story go to:

http://www.southphillyreview.com/view_article.php?id=8519