Just in From NCL

1 view

rhwest...@yahoo.com

May 9, 2007, 9:24:37 AM5/9/07
to SS United States
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The S-S United States may be reborn.

The head of the cruise line that owns the ship says the once-grand
ocean liner will be refurbished and carry passengers again -- and at
top fares.

Right now, the ship sits at a pier on the Delaware River in
Philadelphia, its paint flaking and its engines silent since 1969.

But Colin Veitch, the chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise
Lines, says he is not giving up on the 55-year-old vessel.

He says he has drafts of plans to add one or two decks and other
amenities, and he thinks renovating the United States would be "a
fantastic project."

Rebuilding the gutted ship would cost about 500 (m) million dollars --
more than the cost of new ship. But the nearly 41 mile per hour
average speed the ship posted on its maiden voyage in 1952 still
stands as the trans-Atlantic speed record.

Veitch says the ship would sail worldwide and command premium fares
because of its history.

President

May 9, 2007, 10:15:05 AM5/9/07
to SS United States
Hello Fellow Big U fans!

I have read this article, as well as several others that are posted on
various news services. While no one would love to see the vessel sail
again, I have to remain cautiously optimistic. It is wonderful that
Mr. Veitch has such a passion for the vessel, and is "not giving up on
her." Adding several decks and sailing the vessel on worldwide
itineraries is a wonderful idea. I also think she can command a
premium through her storied history as an American vessel, through and
through.

Yet, passion and hard earned dollars are two different things. The
fact remains, this is not an announcement of a timetable or a reason
to book tickets for the United States second maiden voyage. To me,
this article and these announcements are statements of hope, not
actual plans or facts. The facts are clear, that NCL America is not
the success that was hoped for. It has often been stated that the
future rebirth of our vessel depended on the success of the NCL
American unit, I still believe this to be the case. I applaud the
passion Mr. Veitch has for the vessel, and I wish him and NCL all
success with the SS United States. Yet, several things need to
happen. We have to see definitive plans in the four years that NCL
has owned the vessel. We have to see an embracing of the entire
community of fans and supporters of the vessel in a joint effort of
support and exploration of the future of the SS United States, not
just a select few. Many people over the years have literally given
their lives for this vessel, that community as a whole needs to be
recognized by the owners of this vessel.

I for one hope to sail on her someday. I'm sure we all do. Yet,
there have been countless promises and ideas for her over the years,
for longer than I have been alive! Countless dates, itineraries,
drawings, and plans. I have my doubts that it makes financial sense to
spend $500 million on a nearly 55 year old vessel while the Norway, a
45 year old vessel that would have cost far less to repair, sits
rotting on a beach in India.

Yet, our ship endures. The SS United States will have a future because
we as an organization will never give up on her. Yet, as I said, I
accept this news with cautious optimism.

Long Live the SS United States!
Dan Trachtenberg
President
SS United States Foundation