seeking wireless gurus @ ITDRC.org

Roger E. Rustad, Jr.

Aug 23, 2017, 11:36:39 AM8/23/17
to soca...@googlegroups.com
For those interested in putting wireless skills to use in disaster tech situations, we at ITDRC have been assisting VOADs.  We are a motley bunch of old skool hams, WiFi gurus, installers, and WISPs.

At present, we have about 650 volunteers across the 50 states and have been focusing on supporting organizations with large volunteer bases (e.g. Team Rubicon, with like 40K registered volunteers).  We have also taken up projects like rebuilding school network infrastructure after a flood (e.g. Deweyville, TX).

We've gotten sponsorship from several tech companies (Dish, Fortinet, etc) and are working on becoming a deployment vehicle for several others.  Many big companies have been amenable to the idea of letting their IT teams deploy with us and not have those hours account against vacation days.

If you're interested, email rec...@itdrc.org.  My email there (I'm a director) is rru...@itdrc.org

Or you could inquire here -- https://www.itdrc.org/contact

Rog

Everett Batey G

Aug 23, 2017, 11:47:53 AM8/23/17
to soca...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Roger, Still room for over the hill Civil Defense Hams ..I
was 13 when I got into CD in Pomona Valley (Claremont) CA US. We even
used to do radiological monitoring. Do you have any interest in
CBRNE? Still a US employee. L8r de Ev wa6cre / Skype wa6cre-10 /
+1-805-616-2471
R/ Everett Batey / Skype: wa6cre-10 / efb...@gmail.com
or efb...@cotdazr.org or wa6...@gmail.com or lione...@gmail.com
Auxiliary Lions 4-A3 Web Lions 4-A3 Calendar / http://lions.vhwy.com/lcal
+1-805-616-2471 / G-Talk/Twitter: efbatey / CrisisLinks http://bit.ly/cw95Um
Please visit So Calif Linux Expo http://www.socallinuxexpo.org
> --
> --
> ---
> "SOCALWUG" group.
> email to socalwug+u...@googlegroups.com.

Roger E. Rustad, Jr.

Aug 23, 2017, 12:05:59 PM8/23/17
to soca...@googlegroups.com
We do, although the disasters we help out with are more like fire, flood, tornados, hurricanes, etc.  No big CBRNE events as of yet!

We don't deploy unless we are specifically requested by another VOAD, and when we do, we often go with one or more of a various team (ToolBank USA, Team Rubicon, etc). Our goal is to "help the helpers", so we're focused building temporary communication infrastructure so that the others can coordinate the logistics of their volunteer base.

We've gotten some large NIMS vehicles (MTA2, MOC2) with satellite uplinks, as well as lots of misc rapid deployment kits (e.g. Pelican cases with IT gear in them -- APs, Comms kits, etc).  We're now working on a "SaaS-for-Disaster" (our current working name) toolset that other VOADs can freely use to rapidly onboard volunteers in the days leading up to a disaster.  In these scenarios, it's of course super important to identify volunteers with assets like trucks, tractors, tools, etc.

Happy to answer any and all questions.  We can do so publicly here or can email / Skype -- rru...@itdrc.org and RogerRustad (Skype).

Rog