Clearwire hearing in Pasadena tonight

Stan Slonkosky

Apr 7, 2010, 1:12:43 PM4/7/10
to socalwug
http://ww2.cityofpasadena.net/planning/environmental/Clearwater/Clearwater.asp

Maybe this is part of Sprint's Southern California 4G wireless rollout
mentioned at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/03/tmobile-hspa-sprint-evo-4g.html
.

I'd go to the hearing but I have to be elsewhere this evening.
--
Stan Slonkosky

Richard

Apr 7, 2010, 1:16:07 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
Wish LA had that kind of money...

...they are sure barking about letting City People stay home multiple days a week and no talk of much else.

_

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
-- Patrick Henry

"Show me a young conservative, and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old liberal, and I'll show you someone with no brains."
-- Winston Churchill

Charlie Wallace

Apr 7, 2010, 1:22:12 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
I need some help setting up a reliable 2g and 5g wireless network that's in
a very overpopulated wireless area, like >100's of units. I only need one
floor covered. I've tried a few things, but I'm running out of ideas. the 2g
is literally covered with devices mostly channel 6, but they're all over.
the 5g doesn't have any wireless network except us but it does have a bunch
of those phones that cause it to drop out every so often. I've done the
basic stuff, moved channels etc.

maybe equipment suggestions ? or am I just SOL :)

cheers,
charlie

Richard

Apr 7, 2010, 1:33:28 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
Hey Charlie,

I started looking around and saw this paper on the use of "Milton." It is over six years old, but the thinking in here might give you some ideas?

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Research/Cognitive/CR%20Workshop/Nov1%20Berkeley_Wireless%20Sydor.pdf

http://www.ieee802.org/16/human/contrib/80216hc-00_12.pdf

Hardware possibilities...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/datasheets/enus_ds_wndr3300_16jan08.pdf

When the "junk" is on your slice of spectrum, maybe you could offer that other device user options to move??

_

Stan Slonkosky

Apr 7, 2010, 1:40:19 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Richard <brigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wish LA had that kind of money...
>
> ...they are sure barking about letting City People stay home multiple days a
> week and no talk of much else.

I'm not sure what this has to do with how much money the city has. I
think Clearwire has to pay fees to the city in order get the necessary
permits. Unless this is not part of a planned 4G rollout, I suspect
they will want to be doing the same thing in the City of L.A. and that
the City of L.A, will be collecting money from them.

--
Stan Slonkosky

Charlie Wallace

Apr 7, 2010, 1:43:37 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard,

The Milton looks look interesting.

The dlink didn't seem to be as good as the e3000, it has a lot of configuration options, but it drops out on larger contiguous transfers over 5G.

It's insane how many wireless access points there around here, I'm amazed any of them work it just shows you just how good 802.11 really is.

I wonder if the phones are doing frequency skipping.

Richard

Apr 7, 2010, 1:45:40 PM4/7/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
In that case, rock on!

The fuzzy relationship that developed with Cable TV providers when that technology first rolled out brings up error messages when I compile the ideas of implementation of "City Wide" tech. That's all...

You going to it then, Stan?

Stan Slonkosky

Frank Keeney

Apr 8, 2010, 12:23:46 PM4/8/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com
I just upgraded to the pictured 4g USB dongle. 3g is very nice, can't wait
for 4g!

Thank you

Frank Keeney
Pasadena Networks, LLC
Antennas, Cables and Equipment:
http://www.wlanparts.com

Richard

Apr 8, 2010, 12:36:05 PM4/8/10
to soca...@googlegroups.com

Sprint-4g

Looks like the tech is finally here... The 3G AT&T that is free with the Kindle from Amazon is fascinating and works in places where Verizon's 3G is dismal or non-existent. 86441 for example has no EVDO from Verizon but full AT&T 3G with Wispernet and it is in the middle of no-where.

Stan Slonkosky

May 24, 2010, 1:30:05 PM5/24/10
to socalwug
I asked someone at the Sprint booth at Interop a few weeks ago and he said that they plan to roll out 4G in Southern California in the 3rd Quarter of this year.

On one or more of Leo Laporte's podcasts there was a report that some people found 4G to be great but that others found it to be about the same speed as 3G (I presume those people were farther from the towers). One thing that makes me hesitate to go with Sprint is that, as far as I know, all the modems are Wimax, and Clearwire has indicated they might switch to LTE. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/clearwire-holding-any-lte-switch-until-2012/2010-05-10 says they wouldn't do that until 2012. From what I have heard the only areas in the West that have 4G currently are Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas and Santa Clara (a guy I met from San Jose says the coverage area is very small and he has to drive to Santa Clara in order to get it.)

In the meantime, people who need 3G coverage and don't want to be locked into a 2-year contract might be interested in a month-to-month plan on Verizon from 3gstore.com/lease . You pay $50/month (instead of $60). You also have to pay $90 for a MiFi 2200 or $60 USB760. You have to return the modem if you terminate the service in less than two years.

I have heard that some people are getting MiFis to use with their iPads because Verizon and Sprint have much better 3G coverage than AT&T and because the MiFi can be used with other devices as well. A few weeks ago, I drove to Reno via the 395 and had pretty much continuous 3G coverage on Verizon until I passed Bridgeport. Service resume when I got into the Gardnerville area. Sprint has some 3G coverage around Bishop that almost reaches to Big Pine. I was in the Big Pine Triangle Campground at the north end of town last summer with a Sprint USB modem and it kept switching between 1X and EVDO. AT&T maps show no 3G coverage in the Bishop area at all, only EDGE or GPRS.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:12, Stan Slonkosky <stan....@gmail.com> wrote:
http://ww2.cityofpasadena.net/planning/environmental/Clearwater/Clearwater.asp

Maybe this is part of Sprint's Southern California 4G wireless rollout
mentioned at http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/03/tmobile-hspa-sprint-evo-4g.html
.

--
Stan Slonkosky

Jonathan Kramer

May 24, 2010, 2:42:01 PM5/24/10
to socalwug

Stan, et al:

Clearwire has something north of 3,500 permit applications going in SoCal (Ventura to Mexico).  They intend to have the network up for testing in the Summer, and have indicated a target launch in November of this year.  They are just now starting to deploy their sites in the L.A. market, generally first collocated with Sprint/Nextel.  Key: Look for new 2’ diameter microwave antennas hanging below or positioned above a replaced Sprint or Nextel panel, generally 1 per existing sector.

Clearwire is also now starting its big push into the SF Bay area.

Jonathan, Your Friendly Wireless Planner/Attorney for Local Governments

____________________________
Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq.
Kramer Telecom Law Firm, P.C.
2001 S. Barrington Ave., Suite 306
Los Angeles, CA 90025-5379 USA
Tel: (310) 312-9900 x121
Fax: (310) 473-5900
www.TelecomLawFirm.com
www.CellularPCS.com

Notices:
Privileged And Confidential Communication. This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, you must immediately notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited, and not very nice, either. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at (310) 312-9900 x121, delete this message from your computer's memory, destroy all printed and copied documents that contain this message, and utterly erase your entire mind.  Blah, blah, blah. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with IRS requirements, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments hereto) is not intended or written to be used-and cannot be used-for the purpose of (a) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein. Basically, don't commit tax fraud. Those IRS goons will get you if you do. Audio, video, disco. You? E-SIGN Notice: Unless specifically indicated in the body of this message, none of the identifying marks contained in this electronic message are intended by the writer to be an 'electronic signature' within the meaning of P.L. 106-229, Cal. Civil Code 1633.1 et seq, or any other galactic, federal, state, or local law.  Enough?