SL Shakespeare Company Changes Its Name to Metaverse Shakespeare Company

Ina Centaur

Feb 23, 2010, 5:47:47 PM2/23/10
to SLSC In Group, slshak...@googlegroups.com
SL Shakespeare Company Changes Its Name to Metaverse Shakespeare Company

Shakespeare, Second Life — Feb 22, 2010 — The SL Shakespeare Company
(SLSC) today has finalized its name change process, and will now
officially be known as the Metaverse Shakespeare Company (MSC).

“In its three years, the SL Shakespeare Company has accomplished its
goal of spreading Shakespeare throughout SL via reviving his theatre
and architecture on SL, and promoting affiliate events, from
discussion groups to Renaissance music to non-SLSC sims,” said Ina
Centaur, Artistic Director of the Metaverse Shakespeare Company. “Our
new brand name better reflects our expanded mission to take
Shakespeare to the metaverse—beyond just Second Life, but also
OpenSim, WOW, Entropia, and other multiuser virtual worlds. Moreover,
it frees up the general name of ‘SL Shakespeare’ for others to use, to
continue to imbue SL with that aqua vitae of Shakespeare.”

Centaur expounds on the achievements of the Metaverse Shakespeare
Company, beyond Shakespeare, “We have created the nascent industry of
virtual theatre as a professional medium, and we have also put on
experimental plays, contemporary pieces and original works. Many of
the techniques and methods we have exposed and developed in virtual
theatre, while implemented on SL, extend to any virtual world. We have
evolved beyond Second Life, into the metaverse.”

The old domain of slshakespeare.com will be retained, but
mshakespeare.com is now in use, “There will inevitably be some legacy
items that will retain the old name. For example, old playbills and
programmes will retain the old SL Shakespeare Company name, but
Metaverse Shakespeare is our new brand.”

The Metaverse Shakespeare Company will maintain its relation with the
Virtual Shakespeare Consortium, as curator of the most historically
accurate virtual architecture relating to William Shakespeare. The
Metaverse Shakespeare Company is a fiscally sponsored project of
sLiterary, Inc.

The SL inworld group SL Shakespeare Company has been renamed the
Metaverse Shakespeare Company.

For a full list of changes effective due to this name change, please
see http://blog.mshakespeare.com/.

About the Metaverse Shakespeare Company

Headquartered in the virtual world of Second Life (SL), the Metaverse
Shakespeare Company (MSC) is the flagship project of sLiterary’s
Virtual Reality Shakespeare Initiative (VRSI). MSC is a professional
virtual theatre company that embraces the best of what the metaverse
has to offer. While it is primarily known to provide quality live
Shakespearean theatre available to anyone in any location, MSC is also
the curator of the most historically accurate theatres and
architecture in virtual worlds relating to William Shakespeare.

Website: http://mshakespeare.com
Press Center: http://mshakespeare.com/press
Blog: http://blog.mshakespeare.com
Playbills: http://playbills.mshakespeare.com
Programmes: http://programmes.mshakespeare.com

About the Virtual Shakespeare Consortium

The Virtual Shakespeare Consortium (vSC) is a network of individuals
and organizations dedicated to bringing Shakespeare and Shakespearean
culture to the Internet and beyond.

About sLiterary

sLiterary, Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to furthering
literary and artistic endeavors in Second Life and other virtual
worlds.

About Second Life

Second Life is a free online virtual world imagined and created by its
residents.

Neither the Metaverse Shakespeare Company nor sLiterary is affiliated
with Linden Lab. Second Life is a trademark of Linden Lab. No
infringement is intended.