Fwd: Please Help Remember SL Shakspeare @ SL6B

Ina Centaur

Jun 26, 2009, 2:06:05 PM6/26/09
to slshak...@googlegroups.com, SLSC In Group, SLSC Twelfth Night Open Ended
Hi, apologies for the mass-send, but I've received dozens of the same
question, so I'm posting answers to the three most common ones below:

1. Does this mean that LL will terminate the SLSC?

The SL Shakespeare Company (SLSC) is NOT and was NEVER affiliated
with Linden Lab. The SLSC has always been an independent, self-funded,
third-party organization. (The name "SL" is used similar to how
Shakespearean theatre companies in City X often call themselves "City
X Shakespeare," though we are without any official support from our
"city.")

Thus, aside from giving us an idea of how limited our outreach has
been, this decision will not "terminate" our project. (Also, though
managed by at least one Linden Lab associate, SL6B is a "resident-run"
event. The "resident-admins" are not representative of SL, and some of
them are actually quite limited in their knowledge of SL.)

2. Is this a protest?

Once again, this is *not* a protest. We are not asking for a
reversal in their decision, but, merely, that supporters help "remember
us" -- for what it's worth.

 Yes, there's no immediate goal in the short-run, other than that
we're asking that you help remember us "there," though we'll only be
there if you rez that one prim!

3. "The theme of SL6B has to do with 'the future of the metaverse
[SL]', and Shakespeare is too old!"

Despite the fact that we are primarily a Shakespearean performance
company, we're actually rather forward-looking. For the record, this
was our SL6B exhibit application description:

"In Shakespeare's era, a group of thespians gathered to create the
foundations of modern theatre; now, nearly five hundred years later,
we're trying to do the same thing in virtual theatre -- a theatre
whose domain transcends locality. And, it's only proper that we do it
with Shakespeare. This exhibit will show how Shakespeare relates to
the future of the metaverse, via ample imagery... and, in our usual
tradition since SL3B, with builds to impress!"

We are one of (if not the only) theatre companies on SL to use a full
range of technologies, introducing a new technology or other novelty
with each new show. We have also performed a modern play -- a time
travel piece in late Fall 2008. Here's a summary of our plays, and an
overview of the new thing introduced in each one:
http://bit.ly/slsc08summary

This is all aside from the basic (though perhaps not-that-common)
notion that Shakespeare is timeless -- that he has survived nearly
half a millennium, that his plays continue to have meaning today, that
they can be interpreted in virtually any setting--from Steampunk to
Mars to the end of the universe and other further unknowns.

We believe that, despite the ignorance of the SL6B Board and the
outcome of their decision, Shakespeare does have a place in the future
of the metaverse. The Virtual Shakespeare Consortium and sLiterary's
Virtual Reality Shakespeare Initiative (VRSI) have supported
Shakespearean theatre, and other activities, in other virtual worlds
like World of Warcraft, MetaPlace, and recently, Blue Mars.

--
Gmail via Google Chrome on Windows 7! If this email appears garbled,
blame the RC!