PNW glider organizations

Alex Winbow

Nov 10, 2022, 3:08:15 PM11/10/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

    At Monday night's SGC General Meeting there was discussion about the need and opportunity to revitalize SGC's role as the "club of clubs" for soaring in the Pacific Northwest.

    One small piece of that puzzle, it seems to me, is simply knowing who are the various centers of soaring within our region. Over the years at SGC events I've had the pleasure of making friendships from a number of clubs, but I'm still surprisingly in the dark about who all is out there. I expect that leadership within our clubs who haven't been to many SGC XC events are probably even more in the dark. The SGC website has some hints under Information --> Reference, but even that looks quite out-of-date (some of the organizations seem like they may no longer exist at all). It also gives little idea of the scale of the operation, or the critical resources we all struggle to keep going financially: towplanes.

    Maybe I can make a small contribution to our common understanding by compiling updated information. I started the table below based on some bits and pieces I've learned over the years.

    Could folks from each of the clubs below, or any clubs not listed, drop me a note offline and help me fill in the gaps?

    BTW, there also there was discussion in the meeting about the idea of asking each club to name a formal representative to SGC. It might be useful to create a mailing list (Google Group?) with at least one member from each PNW club's executive Board or leadership, or an email alias if available (e.g. "president@[gliderclub].org"). Let me know if you'd like to be that rep?

                    Thanks,

                    -Alex

Club name (short name) --> web page
Home field
Where is that?
Operating months
Towplanes: model(tail)
# of Club-owned gliders
Notable annual cross-country soaring events (typical timing)
Remarks

Seattle Glider Council (SGC)
Ephrata, WA (KEPH)
3 hours east of Seattle
May - Sept
Pawnee (), C182 ()
0
The DustUp (Memorial Day weekend), Methow Valley encampment (mid-June), Region 8 Contest (late-June) Club-of-clubs -- the coordinating body for PNW soaring

Willamette Valley Soaring Club (WVSC)
North Plains, OR (1OR4)
West side of Portland
April - October
Pawnee (82Z), AgWagon (37G)
8
Alvord Desert encampment (ground launch via auto-tow) (mid-July)

Evergreen
Arlington, WA ()
vaguely Seattle?

Pawnee (), ?

Ephrata encampment (early June)

Puget Sound Soaring Association (PSSA)
Enumclaw, WA ()
even-more-vaguely Seattle?

SuperCub ()

Hood River Soaring (HRS)
Hood River, OR (4S2)
1 hour east of Portland
Year-round
Pawnee (7Z), Pawnee (7L)

Cascade Soaring Society ()

Columbia Basin Soaring Association ()

Grand Teton Soaring Club ()

High Desert Soaring Club ()
Bend, OR (KBDN)
Central Oregon

Spokane Soaring Society ()

Silver Star Soaring Association ()

Independence Glider Club ()

1 hour south of Portland

Brad's winching operation

Winch

Roy Clark

Nov 10, 2022, 5:06:50 PM11/10/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

LBC

Nov 11, 2022, 10:51:23 PM11/11/22
to SGC_News
Alex- for Evergreen’s entry -

EVERGREEN SOARING CLUB
Arlington, WA (KAWO)
One hour north of Seattle. +/-
Year round operations
2 Pawnee tow planes, N4430Y and N4333Y
5 club owned gliders
Encampment note is correct, also the SGC Methow encampment is supported
Remarks - weekend operations are scheduled, other flying by arrangement with CFIG’s and/or towpilots

Brad Pattison

Nov 13, 2022, 3:10:00 PM11/13/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
Here is our info as you had requested:
Puget Sound Soaring Association
Bergseth Field, WN76, exclusive use for gliders and guests
Enumclaw, WA
March through October
Piper Supercub 160hp
3 club owned gliders. L23, PW5, PW6
8 PSSA member owned private gliders
No annual XC events except participation in Methow event w/PW6 & tow plane
Sponsor and staff a booth and glider display each year at NW Aviation Trade Show in Puyallup

Brad Pattison
Gig Harbor, WA

Chris Klix

Nov 13, 2022, 3:18:20 PM11/13/22