My Crew passed away

stephen northcraft

Aug 30, 2022, 3:39:58 PM8/30/22
to SGC News
Many of you may have met my Dad who served for many years as my "crew". He passed away on August 15th one month shy of his 99th birthday.  His obituary is below.

SN

Julian Oran Northcraft Obituary

Capt. Julian Oran “Dude” Northcraft (USN retired) passed away on August 15, 2022, one month shy of his 99th Birthday. He is survived by Suzanne Boesel Northcraft, his wife of 72 years and a Methodist Minister, his four children, Steven Northcraft, Greg Northcraft, Katie Reynard and Alice Norsworthy and 6 grandchildren, Lisa, Robert, Amber, Kelly, Heather and Jackie. He joins his youngest son Michael who passed away in 2011.

Mr. Northcraft lived a full and rewarding life highlighted by his devotion to his family, his commitment to his faith and the service of others, and his love of sports. Northcraft grew up in West Virginia with his parents (Ester White Northcraft and Wesley Northcraft), 2 brothers and sister (Blake, Jimmy and Jeanette) where he “lived a boys dream” playing baseball, golf, swimming, and boating on the Ohio River and socializing with relatives and friends. He started work as a 4th grader for a local grocery store and became an honor student and multi-sport athlete. He graduated from Sistersville High School as Class Salutatorian with dreams of becoming a Navy Pilot. However, he did not have the means to attend college, a prerequisite for that career. So after high school, Julian took a job at the Glenn O Martin aircraft plant in Baltimore. It was through the help of his supervisor there (a former Navy Pilot himself) and a change in policy for World War II that Julian was able to fulfill his dream, becoming a proud Officer of the US Navy from 1942 to 1968. He became a Naval Aviator and a fighter pilot assigned to VF 34 during World War II. He saw combat stationed first on the USS Saratoga and later on the USS Monterey, where he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Navy’s Air Medal before eventually joining hundreds of pilots providing air cover when the Japanese surrendered on the U.S.S. Missouri. He later served as a Reserve flight training officer and as Legal and Security Officer for the Korean War. He then served in the Weekend Warriors (Navy Reserve) where he was commanding officer of VR 731 and commanding officer of Wing Staff 732L until his retirement as Captain in 1968.

With support from the GI Bill, Julian attended Ohio State University where he became a devoted Buckeyes fan, member of Delta Upsilon fraternity, was Chairman of the Interfraternity Council , Chief Justice of Student Council, Assistant Editor of Makio Yearbook and elected to the Sphinx Men’s Senior Honor Society. He earned his law degree from Ohio State and practiced general law until he became Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio. He met Sue Boesel at Ohio State, and together they started a family in Columbus before moving to Toledo for many years.

In addition to Julian’s distinguished Navy career, he also achieved a successful banking career as a Trust Officer in Toledo Ohio and then continued as a senior bank executive in South Florida from 1975 to 1991. Julian and Sue eventually settled in Winston Salem, NC.

His love of family and sports continued throughout his life as he was seen at numerous extended family events in Ohio, Florida and West Virginia. He loved being on the golf course his entire life, on the softball field early in his adult years, and on the croquet field later in life. Julian was always generous with his time and resources. He was a lifelong member of the Methodist Church, the Masonic and Shrine orders and served in leadership positions for many charitable and community organizations including the Toledo Airport Advisory Commission; Easter Seals Society; Toledo Estate Planning Council; Toledo Zoological Society; Goodwill Industries; and an umpire and coach of Little League baseball for 25 years.

Julian was known for his outgoing and yet humble nature, his quick wit and sage advice, and his generous spirit and he will be missed by many. A memorial service will be held near his home at Arbor Acres in Winston Salem NC at a later date. In lieu of flowers the family asks that you make a donation to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, First Tee and or Easter Seals.

Dennis Vreeken

Aug 30, 2022, 3:50:34 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Condolences Steve . What an amazing life !   Dennis Vreeken

Sent from my iPhone

*Eric Greenwell1*

Aug 30, 2022, 5:30:26 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com, Jan Greenwell

Jan and I are sorry to hear that, as we always enjoyed meeting your dad when he crewed for you.

Eric and Jan

Noel Wade

Aug 30, 2022, 5:40:54 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
So sorry for your loss, Steve! It sounds like he was a man of many talents who touched a lot of lives. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to know him better.

Take care and let us know if you need a hand,

--Noel

Chris Klix

Aug 30, 2022, 5:57:32 PM8/30/22
to Sgc_News
Steve, please accept our condolences.  I do remember meeting him many years ago when he came to crew for you in Ephrata.  It sounds like your Dad was a pretty cool “Dude”.

Chris

Wayne Woodmansee

Aug 30, 2022, 7:10:59 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Steve, Wayne and I are so sorry to hear about your Dad. What an amazing life he lived. Please except our condolences. Wayne and Judy

ton...@comcast.net

Aug 30, 2022, 8:28:20 PM8/30/22
to SGC_News
I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how old they are, when a parent dies it is a very big loss.

Tony P

Sharon Austin

Aug 30, 2022, 8:41:14 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Your dad lived a full life, Steve. Wish I could have met him.  My condolence to all.

Dave Reusch

Aug 30, 2022, 9:04:29 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
So sorry to hear. Your dad was such a friendly guy. I was grounded with a bug and slumped in chair in the clubhouse. Your dad wandered in and tried to cheer me up. He told me all about checking out in the F4F with their long stroke gear and why they were a handful on a regular runway in a crosswind. Then he said, “ Let’s go get some ice cream”.   Instantly cured.
Dude; he was a timeless nice guy.
My condolences.

Ron Bellamy

Aug 30, 2022, 9:35:38 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Steve, so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. I’m so glad I had met him but I didn’t know what an outstanding life he had led. No wonder he has such a talented, brilliant son. Best wishes, Ron

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2022, at 6:04 PM, Dave Reusch <daver...@gmail.com> wrote:

 So sorry to hear. Your dad was such a friendly guy. I was grounded with a bug and slumped in chair in the clubhouse. Your dad wandered in and tried to cheer me up. He told me all about checking out in the F4F with their long stroke gear and why they were a handful on a regular runway in a crosswind. Then he said, “ Let’s go get some ice cream”.   Instantly cured.

Thomas Dixon

Aug 30, 2022, 10:56:40 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Steve Linda and I send our condolences. Over the years visiting with your dad was enlightening. Tom

Sent from my iPhone

soa...@comcast.net

Aug 31, 2022, 12:28:42 AM8/31/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

My heart goes to you. Yes your dad was a great guy. I just wished I had more chances to  interact with him.

May he rest in peace.

Heinz

Soarboy at Comcast dot net

Rita Edris

Aug 31, 2022, 2:23:44 AM8/31/22
to SGC_News
Steve, your dad lived a wonderful life! Sending my condolences to you and your family!
Rita

LBC

Aug 31, 2022, 10:12:27 AM8/31/22
to SGC_News
SN,  it was great to spend time with your Dad when he was crewing for you at contests. After the contestants were up and away, back at the clubhouse it was fun to catch up with him while we all stayed cool listening to the radios. I especially loved how he could start out a hot day on the ramp, with a morning round of golf. Priorities !
Thank you for bringing “Mr. Northcraft” to Ephrata and sharing your great Dad with us.  My thoughts are with you, your Mom, and your family -
Linda

Marlene Nelson

Aug 31, 2022, 2:55:03 PM8/31/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
What great shared experiences and wonderful connection you must have had with your Dad, Steve.  Great memories you can keep forever.
Our condolences,
Curt Chenoweth and Marlene Nelson

Sent from my iPhone

David Lindberg

Sep 1, 2022, 2:07:16 PM9/1/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
My condolences to you and your family Steve.  Sounds like a wonderful man.
Dave

Sep 1, 2022, 8:01:27 PM9/1/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve, I remember him crewing for you. I enjoyed meeting him every time he was here in th NW. He was an amazing man and what a full life. Take care and keep the many great memories.
Keith

Sent from my Mobile Office

On Aug 30, 2022, at 14:57, Chris Klix <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steve, please accept our condolences.  I do remember meeting him many years ago when he came to crew for you in Ephrata.  It sounds like your Dad was a pretty cool “Dude”.

Lynn Wyman

Sep 1, 2022, 8:20:02 PM9/1/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Steve, I remember talking with your dad several times during contests in years past. I always thought he was so generous of his time to come out West and crew. I imagine he was your crew in Uvalde, too. Lynn Wyman

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2022, at 5:01 PM, Keith Purves <2fk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Steve, I remember him crewing for you. I enjoyed meeting him every time he was here in th NW. He was an amazing man and what a full life. Take care and keep the many great memories.

ASM

Sep 15, 2022, 11:19:14 PM9/15/22
to SGC_News
Steve , reading the obituary I can only conclude that your dad had an amazing life. I only met him few times, but please accept my condolences. Jacek