Jim Simmons Passing

SGC Discussion

May 28, 2024, 5:36:24 PMMay 28
to SGC Discussion
Sad news today from Mary Simmons that Jim passed away Saturday night. No details yet about service arrangements as the holiday has delayed some planning. Jim was a long time member and director of the SGC, SGCSF and Boeing clubs and he and I were long time partners in a AstirCS 77 and LS4a. I'll post more information as I get it.
Jim McNeil

Jacek Kobiesa

May 28, 2024, 6:42:02 PMMay 28
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
He will be missed by many people. A true gentleman.

Jacek

Sent from my iPhone

On May 28, 2024, at 2:36 PM, SGC Discussion <sgc_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Sad news today from Mary Simmons that Jim passed away Saturday night. No details yet about service arrangements as the holiday has delayed some planning. Jim was a long time member and director of the SGC, SGCSF and Boeing clubs and he and I were long time partners in a AstirCS 77 and LS4a. I'll post more information as I get it.
Jim McNeil

Jim Dobberfuhl

May 28, 2024, 7:39:35 PMMay 28
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Jim Simmons was a huge part of the soaring community here in the Northwest.  He was an outstanding cross-country glider pilot and a towpilot.  His legacy lives on in the community he helped to build and serve.  Jim also has his fingerprints all over the 747 and 767 freighters around the world after spending a lifetime career at Boeing.  However, most of all, Jim was a wonderful person and he will be missed.
Jim Dobberfuhl

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 2:36 PM SGC Discussion <sgc_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Sad news today from Mary Simmons that Jim passed away Saturday night. No details yet about service arrangements as the holiday has delayed some planning. Jim was a long time member and director of the SGC, SGCSF and Boeing clubs and he and I were long time partners in a AstirCS 77 and LS4a. I'll post more information as I get it.
Jim McNeil

Message has been deleted

LBC

May 30, 2024, 8:22:33 PMMay 30
to SGC Discussion
Jim has been missed since he retired from soaring - a longtime tow pilot and glider pilot, he helped one and all on being better pilot with advice, counsel, and experience. I am sorry to hear of his passing.
Linda

Rita Edris

Jun 1, 2024, 1:30:46 AMJun 1
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Very few if any worked more to get SGC, SGC SF, the Ephrata training center, and soaring in our region to where it is today. From board member to mentor Jim served tirelessly for decades in so many capacity, even counting tow cards last season.

Sending sincere condolences to Mary and the family. RIP Jim!

Rita

On May 30, 2024, at 6:22 PM, LBC <chism...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jim has been missed since he retired from soaring - a longtime tow pilot and glider pilot, he helped one and all on being better pilot with advice, counsel, and experience. I am sorry to hear of his passing.

SGC Discussion

Jun 1, 2024, 1:54:27 AMJun 1
to SGC Discussion
For me the SGC was the Jim Simmons Club. On my first day there, as a new Boeing Soaring Club Member, i got pleasant but firm direction where to park, what to do, and how to select a bunk in the trailer Clubhouse.  And over the years I got to fly with him in the DG and learn a lot, about flying and about club operation. I sure do miss Jim Simmons! May he rest in peace.
Deepest condolence to Mary and the rest of the Simmons family.
Heinz

Chris Klix

Jun 1, 2024, 4:42:40 AMJun 1
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Jim was a cornerstone of SGC.  He had knowledge of everything and a real historian for the organization.  He was involved in almost every key decision over the years, and helped to make SGC what it is today.  I’ve flown with him many times in not just to two places gliders, but also in the skies as he was flying other gliders.  He was someone I always looked up to and admired.  I think he will be missed by all who knew him, certainly by me as he was a good friend.  Rest in peace Jim.
Chris

Soaring flight is the pursuit of green energy

On Jun 1, 2024, at 7:54 AM, SGC Discussion <sgc_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

For me the SGC was the Jim Simmons Club. On my first day there, as a new Boeing Soaring Club Member, i got pleasant but firm direction where to park, what to do, and how to select a bunk in the trailer Clubhouse.  And over the years I got to fly with him in the DG and learn a lot, about flying and about club operation. I sure do miss Jim Simmons! May he rest in peace.

jim mcneil

Jun 1, 2024, 4:11:45 PMJun 1
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
Update: Memorial service is scheduled for June 15, 1:00 PM at Purdy & Walters at
Floral Hills Funeral Home & Cemetery, 409 Filbert Road, Lynnwood, WA.