resume producing RASP charts

Caz Yokoyama

Aug 26, 2022, 12:13:01 PM8/26/22
to WVSC-Forum, SGC_News
I don't know how many days/times the productions are missed. I found its root cause and fixed the problem.

For those of you who want to know its details:
The chart production is done by following procedure.
- Download weather information in large mesh from NOAA
- Weather prediction program called wrt calculates in 3km mesh from the downloaded weather information
- A graphical converter called NCL converts the 3km mesh weather information to charts.

Those programs run on Fedora 19, i.e. very old. The download from NOAA is done by HTTPS, i.e. SSL. NOAA no longer supports an old version of SSL.
By updating SSL on Fedora 19, NOAA resumed allowing Fedora 19 to download.
--
-caz, caz at caztech dot com, 503-six one zero - five six nine nine(m)

Noel Wade

Aug 29, 2022, 7:56:33 PM8/29/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com, WVSC-Forum
Thank you, Caz!  I do use those RASP forecasts to cross-check other sources, such as Skysight. I appreciate you continuing to host and maintain your RASP server/system. :-)

--Noel

*Eric Greenwell1*

Aug 30, 2022, 12:02:17 AM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

What do you do if they are similar? If they are significantly different?

Eric

*Eric Greenwell1*

Aug 30, 2022, 12:02:30 AM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

What do you do if they are similar? If they are significantly different?

Eric

Noel Wade

Aug 30, 2022, 2:36:24 PM8/30/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com
If they are similar, then I tend to believe SkySight's more-detailed forecasting of clouds and streeting/convergence.

If they are mildly-dissimilar, then I assume the forecast will be somewhere in-between them (if anything, the RASP is more likely to over-call the temperature and thermal strength for the day).

If they are wildly dissimilar, then I'll look at the UW MM5 WRF-GFS forecasts and possibly the Dr Jack NAM and see if any two of the models are in close agreement. Whichever models seem to agree are the ones I'll look to for which conditions to expect.  But this is very situation-dependent; for example if its clear from other (non-soaring) forecasts that there will be a big frontal passage or other high-wind event, then I'll believe forecasts that show B/S issues and weaker thermals - regardless of which soaring forecasts agree on what type of conditions.

Hope this helps!

--Noel

*Eric Greenwell1*

Aug 31, 2022, 12:39:16 PM8/31/22
to sgc_...@googlegroups.com

That does help. Have you tried comparing the Skysight model with it's HRRR model? Would that be as useful as using the UW MM5 WRF-GFS forecasts, or Dr. Jack's NAM? I do check the HRRR occasionally, and sometimes it differs significantly.

Eric