Let's write a blog post for City Knowledge Share

brittag

Sep 5, 2014, 8:42:24 PM9/5/14
to SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Last week I started working on a blog post about the results of the City Knowledge Share editathon, but I ran out of steam partway through, so maybe you all would like to work on this!

Here's the draft I had, on an Etherpad which you are invited to heavily revise and edit: http://htmlpad.org/cityknowledgeshare-sf/edit - you can see it in rendered form here: http://htmlpad.org/cityknowledgeshare-sf/

I started working on this by looking at the Activity page (http://localwiki.net/sf/_activity), scrolling down to the end of the editathon day, and cataloging that day's edits as I continued to scroll down. I stopped approximately at the edits by mayawagon on Summer of Love Residences ("It is listed as all of Post Street instead of just the building").

That was only about half of the day's edits, and you can see that the draft is already exhaustingly full of links! I think a better strategy, for both the writer and the reader, might be to pick 5-10 representative new/expanded articles that show off great parts of the day's work -- the articles most interesting to potential new LocalWiki readers/editors -- and feature those articles.

Is anyone else interested in working on this? Code for San Francisco has a brand-new blog where we could post this: http://codeforsanfrancisco.org/blog/

Britta

brittag

Sep 5, 2014, 9:09:53 PM9/5/14
to SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Just to note - I'd say that writing this post is a task that fellow LocalWiki editors and Code for San Francisco brigade members can help with even if you didn't attend the editathon!

Useful tasks that anyone can do that would probably each take 30 minutes or less:

* Write a quick introduction for the post - briefly explain what LocalWiki is, and describe the when/where/why of the editathon. You can get this information from the event page here: http://cityknowledgeshare.splashthat.com/ - you can then paste your introduction into the Etherpad or include it as an email reply here.
* Check out that draft post and make a list of the 5 articles that you think would be best to feature, and post that list as an email reply here. Multiple people can do this so we get a few different opinions about what we should feature.
* Go to http://localwiki.net/sf/_activity and scroll down, and click "more" approximately six times until you find the edits by mayawagon on Summer of Love Residences that mention "It is listed as all of Post Street instead of just the building" - and make a list of any interesting article expansions or brand-new articles that you notice as you scroll down. Post that list as an email reply here or put that in the Etherpad! You can do this until you also run out of steam, and just include a note about the last edit you reviewed so that another person can pick up where you left off. :)

Britta

Vicky Knox

Oct 1, 2014, 3:36:56 AM10/1/14
to brittag, Philip Neustrom, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Without further ado, I made some major improvements to the blog post! Please check it out and give any feedback or make any changes you'd like. I'd like to get this posted in the next few days, maybe Monday since that seems to be a good day in social media apparently. :]

http://htmlpad.org/cityknowledgeshare-sf/edit

ttyl,
Vicky

Vicky Knox

Oct 1, 2014, 4:22:22 AM10/1/14
to brittag, Philip Neustrom, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
PS: I removed some of the author references (for example, no mention of Marina making the article on plant installations), but if you'd like to add them back in I left the original references in the draft below the new one.