ShapingSF public talk: Gentrification [Oct. 29]

Vicky Knox

Oct 20, 2014, 11:02:35 PM10/20/14
to SFLoc...@googlegroups.com, oakla...@googlegroups.com
Oakland Wiki and SF LocalWiki people,

Want some inspiration for Oakland gentrification and San Francisco gentrification content? Join me at Shaping SF's public talk on gentrification on Wednesday, October 29, at 518 Valencia at 7:30p. You'll also get to meet my friend Erin McElroy, who works on the Anti-Eviction Mapping Project.

"Decades of displacement and eviction have reached another crescendo during 2013-14. Key activists from the 1990s to the present will share tactics and strategies as the war enters its latest stages."

Shaping SF is a local history nonprofit that does public talks and hosts a neat local history archive.

cya,
Vicky

Oct 21, 2014, 6:14:42 PM10/21/14
to SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Vicky! This ShapingSF mailing list also looks really amazing; I've subscribed to it now too. :)

Britta

Vicky Knox

Oct 22, 2014, 2:53:44 PM10/22/14
to Britta, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's great!

FYI again, I think I may have mentioned this at a gentrification editathon: Chris Carlsson, one of the founders of ShapingSF, gave me a near-complete collection of original Processed World magazines. Processed World came out in the 80s, 90s and 00s as a critique of the San Francisco technology sector and office job. They're super fun and artistic, and I think they're a great local treasure to pour over. If anyone is interested at some point, you can come to my home in Oakland and check them out (or maybe I can lug them across the bay). I work remotely so I can be really flexible with my time. :]

Leah Nichols

Oct 22, 2014, 3:09:31 PM10/22/14
to Vicky Knox, Britta, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Vicky! Just found the Processed World collection online as well here. Lots to read, and the cover graphics are so cool.

Also, see you (& others) at the ShapingSF public talk!

Leah

Ben Donley

Oct 30, 2014, 12:32:51 AM10/30/14
to Vicky Knox, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Those talks were rad. Maria Zamudio was particularly great. Thank you for telling us about it.

<&

Vicky Knox

Oct 30, 2014, 1:39:25 AM10/30/14
to Ben Donley, SFLoc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it was totally rad! I got "Dispatches Against Displacement" if anyone wants to check it out.

Chris and LisaRuth from ShapingSF really like LocalWiki and have been wanting to find more ways for our events and our content to cross paths. Let me know if you have any ideas or are interested in joining the convo--I should be starting an email chain with them in the next day. :]