[Bike to the Future] February Monthly Meeting; possible cycling infrastructure on Pembina Hwy!

Bike to the Future

Feb 4, 2010, 10:32:36 PM2/4/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This newsletter contains the following items:

1. Minutes from our January Monthly Meeting
2. Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday February 9th
3. Possible cycling infrastructure on Pembina Hwy between Chevrier Blvd and Plaza Dr
4. 2010 Membership Initiative -- Planning Meeting
5. Cycling workshops at The Bike Dump

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
http://biketothefuture.org
_____________________________

Minutes from our January Monthly Meeting

The January Monthly Meeting minutes are posted at
http://biketothefuture.org/about/meetings.
____________________________

Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday February 9th

Bike to the Future meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 5:30 at the Eco-Centre (3rd floor, 303 Portage Ave & Donald St). Anyone is welcome to attend.

A tentative agenda for the February Monthly Meeting has been posted at
http://biketothefuture.org/events/archives/2010/01/14/february-monthly-meeting.
____________________________

Possible cycling infrastructure on Pembina Hwy between Chevrier Blvd and Plaza Dr

For years, cyclists have identified Pembina Hwy as a very important route that is "difficult" (inconvenient, unsafe, no fun), but there is no reasonable alternative to it between Chevrier Blvd and Plaza Dr.

The City of Winnipeg will soon be doing "mill and fill" road maintenance work on Pembina Hwy between Chevrier and Bishop Grandin.

Anders Swanson has a solution for cycling that he's discussing with the City: details (including before-and-after design images).

Anders and Janice Lukes will be staffing a display of this possible cycling infrastructure at the UofManitoba (University Centre -- Bookstore glass wall nearest to Tim Hortons) on Monday February 8th from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. They can offer guidance on speaking to the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works meeting at City Hall on Tuesday at 9:00 AM. There will also be a very short questionaire / feedback form.
_____________________________

2010 Membership Initiative -- Planning Meeting

Bike to the Future's Membership Committee will be meeting on Thursday February 25th at noon at the Eco-Centre (3rd floor, 303 Portage Ave & Donald St) to plan a Membership Initiative for 2010. Everyone is welcome to attend. For more info, please contact Membership Committee Director Rob Cosco.

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership. Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

All memberships taken out in 2008 (and the complimentary memberships given out in 2009) are now due for renewal.

Use PayPal to purchase a new Bike to the Future membership or renew an existing Bike to the Future membership. If you are not sure of your membership status, please contact Membership Committee Director Rob Cosco.

Cycling workshops at The Bike Dump

The Bike Dump is holding a series of free drop-in workshops on a variety of bike-related topics on the third Wednesday of every month at 6:00 PM. Please see
http://bike-dump.ca.

Our website at
http://biketothefuture.org is updated often.