[Bike to the Future] January news

Bike to the Future

Jan 8, 2010, 9:10:35 AM1/8/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This newsletter contains the following items:

1. Minutes from our December Monthly Meeting
2. Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday January 12th
3. $20 million of new active transportation infrastructure for 2010
4. Winnipeg Trails Association's Year-end Update
5. BttF's Sponsorship Position Statement
6. BttF's review of the provincial Highway Traffic Act
7. Bike to Work Day 2010
8. Membership
9. BttF Members' Night at the Mountain Equipment store
10. Cycling workshops at The Bike Dump

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
_____________________________

Minutes from our December Monthly Meeting

The December Monthly Meeting minutes are posted at http://biketothefuture.org/about/meetings.
____________________________

Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday January 12th

Bike to the Future meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 5:30 at the Eco-Centre (3rd floor, 303 Portage Ave & Donald St). Anyone is welcome to attend.

A tentative agenda for the January Monthly Meeting has been posted at http://biketothefuture.org/events/archives/2009/12/09/january-monthly-meeting.
____________________________

$20 million of new active transportation infrastructure for 2010

Bike to the Future's main focus for the next few months will be to provide input to the City of Winnipeg about the $20 million of new active transportation infrastructure that will be built in 2010. 37 projects have been funded under the Federal Stimulus program. A number of consultants have been hired.

The City of Winnipeg has created an Active Transportation Blog to capture public input. Formal public consultations will begin in late January. It is vital that the City receives as much public input as possible. We are being assured the input will be 'heard'. As public consultation sessions are announced, they will be posted under Upcoming Events on our website, and communicated via our e-mail newsletters.
_____________________________

Winnipeg Trails Association's Year-end Update

Janice Lukes of the Winnipeg Trails Association has written a very comprehensive year-end update about the current status of active transportation in Winnipeg and achievements in 2009. It's on our website at http://biketothefuture.org/news/archives/2009/12/30/2010-news-from-the-winnipeg-trails-association.
_____________________________

BttF's Sponsorship Position Statement

As discussed at our December Monthly Meeting, Bike to the Future has drafted a Sponsorship Position Statement that we are posting here for further discussion. We'll approve it (or an amended version of it) at our January Monthly Meeting.

_____________________________

BttF's review of the provincial Highway Traffic Act

Our Provincial Committee has formed a task force whose mission is to do a systematic review of the provincial Highway Traffic Act (HTA). Our goal is to make cycling a more attractive transportation alternative.

_____________________________

Bike to Work Day 2010

Monthly planning meetings for Bike to Work Day 2010 on Friday June 25th have begun. Please see http://biketothefuture.org/events/archives/2009/12/14/bike-to-work-day-2010----planning-meeting.

Membership

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership. Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

All memberships taken out in 2008 (and the complimentary memberships given out in 2009) are now due for renewal.

If you are not sure of your membership status, please contact BttF's Membership Committee Director.

Cycling workshops at The Bike Dump

The Bike Dump is holding a series of free drop-in workshops on a variety of bike-related topics on the third Wednesday of every month at 6:00 PM. Please see http://bike-dump.ca.

Our website at http://biketothefuture.org is updated often.