[Bike to the Future] The active transportation infrastructure projects ... your support is needed

Bike to the Future

Oct 3, 2010, 10:43:10 PM10/3/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters!

Today's newsletter has only three items:

1. The active transportation infrastructure projects ... your support is needed
2. Meeting with mayoral candidate Judy Wasylycia-Leis on Friday October 8th
3. Cyclist harassment increase?

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
biketothefuture.org
___________________________

The active transportation infrastructure projects ... your support is needed

You are probably aware that there has been a dramatic increase in media attention and criticism related to the 2010 active transportation infrastructure projects in the past two weeks.

We've written Latest News items about the projects, including our perspective of their background and process.

Bike to the Future supports the 37 projects that comprise Winnipeg's 2010 Active Transportation Infrastructure program. We recognize that some of the projects, or parts of some of the projects, may negatively impact some people, and we realize that people who are negatively impacted by any change will naturally criticize the change.

These projects are intended to improve conditions for the majority of cyclists. If you're an experienced, confident cyclist, please try to look at the new infrastructure from the perspective of a cycling family with kids. And vice-versa if you're a newbie cyclist or a cyclist who is non confident riding in traffic. We think you'll find that, on balance, there have been improvements for everyone.

We need to show support to the City of Winnipeg staff, consultants, and engineers who have been criticized by politicians, media, motorists, and others. If you like the new infrastructure, or at least certain projects, please contact the Mayor, City Councilors, Civic Election candidates, and the media ... and also contact us so we can post anonymous good news stories.
Thank you.
___________________________

Meeting with mayoral candidate Judy Wasylycia-Leis on Friday October 8th

7:00 to 8:30 PM
Sport For Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave at Lily St (NW corner) in the east Exchange

Everyone is welcome to attend.

Info

Cyclist harassment increase?

In the past week we've received a few reports of cyclists being harassed by motorists, possibly as a result of the media attention and criticism related to the new AT infrastructure. The two most prevalent harassments are "buzzing" (motor vehicles deliberately passing very close to cyclists), and verbal abuse of the cyclist that appear to indicate that he/she should "get off my road" and limit his/her cycling to designated bikeways, bike lanes, and pathways.

Bike to the Future's Safety & Education Committee Director advises that we need to be even more careful on the roads until this nonsense passes. Cyclists should remain calm and not react to these situations. In some respects, these motorists are like the school yard bully, and when we react, we not only give them what they want, but we also take our mind off the task at hand: riding safely.

If you have experienced increased harassment in the past week or so, please contact us.