Dictionary mismatch

ernest.w....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2016, 3:18:11 AM1/10/16
to SDCH
What is the expected behavior from the client when the dictionary hash does not match? Consider the following, I've created a new dictionary, the client sends the old client hash, the server checks if the client hash matches the new hash, if it doesnt the server will not encode the response, add X-SDCH-Encode: 0 and advertises the dictionary with Get-Dictionary. What happens next? Should the client immediately try and download the new dictionary?

Can Selcik

Jan 10, 2016, 2:18:08 PM1/10/16
to SDCH
Don't quote me on this but as far as I know, the client is expected to download the new dictionary in this situation, however, how immediate it is isn't really a part of the spec. As far as I know, it would just be a low priority background task, at least in Chrome.

ernest.w....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2016, 3:00:19 PM1/10/16
to SDCH
hmmm... interesting... I guess I have a bug, since I saw the client didn't download it, even after chrome restart, in the end I just manually deleted the dictionary on client... will recheck it, just to be sure

Randy Smith

Jan 10, 2016, 5:44:56 PM1/10/16
to SD...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM, <ernest.w....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hmmm... interesting... I guess I have a bug, since I saw the client didn't
> download it, even after chrome restart, in the end I just manually deleted
> the dictionary on client... will recheck it, just to be sure

If it rechecks, please file a bug with repro instructions? The way I
interpreted the spec, the client is welcome to be as lazy as it wants
about downloading dictionaries ("Get-Dictionary" is considered a hint
not an order), but Chrome should be doing the download in the case you
describe. If this behavior is occuring, I suspect what's happening is
that one of the mechanisms in place to avoid downloading an already
downloaded dictionary is working a bit too well :-}.

-- Randy