Chapter Updates and Project Kick-Off Meeting

Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter

Jun 12, 2024, 10:40:51 PMJun 12
to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter

Hi SCGIS-SD Community,

Thank you everyone for showing up to the SCGIS-SD meet-up at the San Elijo Ecological Reserve on Saturday, May 18th! We had an awesome time walking around the reserve and learning about the history and the cultural and biological resources in the area. Main items we discussed:

I. Tabling events. We will plan to use WhatsApp for future tabling events and communications – thank you Josh for initiating. We discussed having a tabling event in November for GIS Day at Scripps Aquarium (GIS day is officially scheduled for Wednesday, November 20th) but that Friday may work out best for everyone.

II. Esri UC. We are tentatively planning to meet at the Map Gallery on Monday, July 15th and will circulate the date and time for the larger SCGIS meet up when it is announced. The map gallery meet-up will allow attendance for folks who are not attending the ESRI UC. More details to follow.

II. Chapter Projects – We’re planning on having a Project Kick-Off Meeting. Please use this website to select the best times that will work for you to meet within a month: https://www.when2meet.com/?25317264-v7d1z.

Attached is the group photo from the meeting. Please let us know if there are any objections to posting the photo on the web.

P.S. SCGIS has added our Chapter to their website here! : https://www.scgis.org/san-diego

Thank you,

Lesley Handa and Jacob Helfman, SCGIS-SD Organizers

SCGIS-SD Group Photo - Spring 2024.jpeg

Jacob Helfman

Jun 22, 2024, 1:14:04 AMJun 22
to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter
Hi Everyone,

This is a reminder for those of you who haven't put in your availability for the Project Kick-Off Meeting yet. Please do so at https://www.when2meet.com/?25317264-v7d1z

Best,
Jacob Helfman

Jacob Helfman

Jun 22, 2024, 1:24:41 AMJun 22
to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter
Hi again,

I just realized that it would've been helpful if I explained how to use the When2Meet site in my previous email:

The When2Meet website is usable only from a desktop/PC. When you click on the link, you will be able to log in using your first and last name as your username and a custom password (you can keep note of that password in case you want to go back and adjust your availability on the calendar) . Then, you will be able to highlight the blocks of times that you are available. Your calendar is automatically saved (see the right side of the site) and you can close the browser when you're done.

Thank you,
Jacob Helfman

Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter

Jul 11, 2024, 12:28:13 AMJul 11
to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter
Hi Everyone,

We will have our Project Kick-off meeting this weekend:

Date: Saturday, July 13th, 2024
Time: 1 PM
Location: Winer Family Community Room & Art Gallery at San Carlos Library, 7265 Jackson Drive, San Diego, CA 92119.

Here is the meeting agenda:

IProject Management

A. Proposed spreadsheet tabs

  1. Project Management

  2. Participant List

  3. Volunteer Effort

  4. Project Data Tracker

  5. Other suggestions?

II. Roles
A. Project Leads

  1. Responsibilities of Project Lead

  1. Create project plan and resources for the project (have a rough idea how long the project may take, what is needed, etc.)

  2. If needed, coordinate meetings and oversee the work of everyone on the project

  3. Coordinate the review process

  4. Provide project update status to the larger group

B. Project Worker

1. Responsibilities of Project worker

  1. Work on the project

  2. Communicate with the project lead

C. Product Reviewer

  1. Responsibilities of Reviewer

    1. Evaluate Content

      1. Review data sources and confirm proper references are communicated properly in the product

      2. Review analytical processes and confirm communication of processes and additional resources are included as references

      3. Review content so that language is appropriate, professional, and non-offensive to sensitive parties

    2. Evaluate overall product design

      1. Review to make sure products follow good cartographic design and principals

      2. Review color schemes (make sure products are user-friendly for colorblind individuals

      3. Review that data is properly labeled on maps and text is readable

      4. Review functionality such as making sure that buttons work, products viewed on a variety of devices, and that products are user-friendly

      5. Review all text for typos and confirm proper spellings of pronouns

      6. Evaluate photos and confirm high resolution photos are used for products

    3. Documentation

      1. Review copies of data backups for archival purposes of products and data

    4. Provide constructive feedback if products can be improved in any of these elements

    5. Approve the release of the product to the public

III. Project Phases

  1. Design, Build, Completed
    1. Design Phase (Discussion led by project lead)

a. What data do we include?

B. What frequency is the data updated?

C. How frequently is data managed and updated to maintain the product?

D. How many hours of effort will it take to maintain?

E. Are we able to commit to maintaining the product?

IV. Project Review process

  1. Minimum of two reviewers
    1. Two week period of review - One for tight deadlines

  2. Other things to evaluate and other thoughts??

V. Project Discussion

Nothing is set in stone with the processes outlined above. They will be open to discussion at the meeting.

Thank you,
Lesley Handa and Jacob Helfman

Jacob Helfman

Jul 11, 2024, 12:56:31 AMJul 11
to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd resend the meeting notice, this time with corrected formatting:

Date: Saturday, July 13th, 2024
Time: 1 PM
Location: Winer Family Community Room & Art Gallery at San Carlos Library, 7265 Jackson Drive, San Diego, CA 92119.

We will try to do a meeting call at the same time in our Whatsapp group

We recommend eating a meal beforehand, as there will be no food/beverages offered. Here is the meeting agenda:

I. Project Management

A. Proposed spreadsheet tabs

  1. Project Management

  2. Participant List

  3. Volunteer Effort

  4. Project Data Tracker

  5. Other suggestions?

II. Roles
A. Project Leads

  1. Responsibilities of Project Lead

    1. Create a project plan and resources for the project (have a rough idea how long the project may take, what is needed, etc.)

    1. If needed, coordinate meetings and oversee the work of everyone on the project

    2. Coordinate the review process

    3. Provide project update status to the larger group

[...]

      1. What data do we include?

      2. What frequency is the data updated?

      3. How frequently is data managed and updated to maintain the product?

      4. How many hours of effort will it take to maintain?

      5. Are we able to commit to maintaining the product?

    IV. Project Review process

    1. Minimum of two reviewers

    1. Two week period of review - One for tight deadlines

    1. Other things to evaluate and other thoughts??

    V. Project Discussion

    Coral Weaver

    Jul 26, 2024, 2:39:37 PM (24 hours ago) Jul 26
    to Society for Conservation GIS - San Diego Chapter
    Hi Lesley and Jacob,

    I hope this kick-off meeting went well! I wasn't able to attend, but I'd like to get more involved in our San Diego SCGIS chapter as a project worker. Are there currently projects underway or in the development stages? How can I help out?

    Best,
    Coral

    This message was sent via the SCGIS-SD Listserv.

    The Society for Conservation GIS: https://www.scgis.org
    Become a member or renew: https://www.scgis.org/membership

    Follow:
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SCGIS
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/scgisintl/
    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/society-for-conservation-gis/
    LinkedIn for the Chapter: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/14352002/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/scgisintl/
    Geonet: https://community.esri.com/groups/society-for-conservation-gis/

    Coral Weaver (she/her)
    Conservation Coordinator

    4010 Morena Blvd., St. 100, San Diego, CA 92117
    Office: 858-273-7800
    Website        Facebook        Instagram

    Be the hope for birds, wildlife, and their habitats. Become a Friend today!  Stay connected by signing up for our eNews mailing list and seeing the latest happenings in our Newsroom.