Return from the Big Easy

Bouncer

May 2, 2012, 6:29:12 PM5/2/12
to SBG_FO...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Y'all!  I'm back from my visit to the WW2 Museum in New Orleans, had a great time and enjoyed my vacation.  Now I'm ready to game, will see you Saturday at Total Escape!

JL

Jim Oliver

May 2, 2012, 6:45:33 PM5/2/12
to sbg_fo...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back;
 Maybe the following week, this Saturday is my daughters college graduation, booked solid.

 Jim

Jeff Hunt

May 3, 2012, 8:19:36 AM5/3/12
to sbg_fo...@googlegroups.com
And dont forget Sunday as well.  Did we want to try Tank Aces??

Oh, Yeah!  The Tank Aces campaign materials and tokens will be available next week, but in the meantime we could mess around with some sample 500-point lists and try a game or two.  Will you be there (TEG) on Saturday as well, or only on Sunday, or what?  I have the Jumbos I mentioned in Let's Make a Deal, will trade you for the Easy Eights when I see you.  Also, are you going to sign up for the Home/Away thing Scott H. posted about?

JL

And dont forget Sunday as well.  Did we want to try Tank Aces??

May 3, 2012, 7:46:11 PM5/3/12
to sbg_fo...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Hunt
Hey Jeff and friends,

I am still working on trying to get Battlefront to support the concept and provide prizes.  If you could float the idea by your group and be a champion I think we could all have some competitive fun and raise a few dollars for charity.  I did not get any feedback from the Colorado Springs people but if our two groups were on board I am sure we could cajole them into participating.  Here is the concept again:

I’ve been thinking about how our favorite game fits in among all the other gaming choices out there and have come to realize that it could use some more cultivating in the Rocky Mountain region.  I think we have a pretty active tournament scene but am not sure if the casual game play is as strong.

I noticed last summer that participation dropped off some.  There are always a lot of obligations and distractions during summer so that was not too unexpected.  This drop off in participation can have some negative consequences if people lose interest all together.

So I started thinking of ways to keep interest up while being as inclusive as possible.  There are always tournaments, themed events, and total war battles but they do not always appeal to everyone’s style of play, period of choice, and army collecting patterns.  So I refined an idea I have been toying with and decided to reach out to a few of you that I think represent your gaming community well.  I am looking for feedback if the following would be of interest to you or your gaming group.

Without further adieu…[DRAFT]

Rocky Mountain Summer Flames of War League 2012

Starts July 1.  Ends September 31.

How does it work?
Declare a home field.  Your local gaming store, tournaments, or a friend’s house (e.g. Adolf’s house.)
Play league opponents.  Games are either Home or Away.  Arrange your own games.  Chose your own opponents.
Play as many games as you like during the league timeframe.
Play anywhere you like.  Your favorite local gaming store, your home or a friends, or any tournament you happen to attend.
Play any period you like (Early, Mid, Late).
Play any points level 900 or more.
Report your games to the league administrator.  Chose your best 6 games to be scored.

How do you score?
Each game will be scored using the standard Flames of War scoring system. (6-1, 5-2, 4-3, etc.)
Receive an additional victory point for each different opponent you play. (6 Max)
Receive an additional victory point for each period you play. (2 Max per period, 6 total Max)
Receive an additional victory point for each different location you play. (e.g. Joseph’s House)(6 Max)
Receive an additional victory point for each army type you play. [by nationality and type (Infantry, Mech, Tank, Fortified)] (6 Max)
Receive an additional victory point for each game played where your army is game standard (based & 3 colors). (6 Max)

How does it end?
The league administrator will tally up all the points and declare a winner.
There will be some prizes for top finishers.

How do I participate?
Sign up at _TBD_.
Pay your $10 registration fee to _TBD_.
Report your games to _TBD_.  (club admin, self reporting, spreadsheet???)
Have fun! Play games!

All registration fees will be donated to a local charity.  I suggest The Wounded Warrior Project.

There are some things that need to be worked out but this is roughly how it will run.  I’ll be looking for game stores to sponsor the league and provide some prizes (along with Battlefront).

You’ll see from the scoring options that it is very much designed to encourage friendly varied play among the community.

If successful we can run it each summer and add features in future years such as a tournament closer, playoffs, participation prizes, and trophies.

How many of you would participate?

Thanks, Scott Holmes

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/SBG_FOW_club/-/ytrdrFByJTQJ.

Jeff Hunt

May 3, 2012, 11:29:02 PM5/3/12
to sbg_fo...@googlegroups.com
I plan to be there Saturday.  Sunday I may be a bit late.  I have the Easy Eights.  Not sure yet about the summer league.  Comitments already abound so I have to see if it is feasable.

JAH

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/SBG_FOW_club/-/ytrdrFByJTQJ.