HG World Championships 2023

Pebo Blank

Aug 4, 2023, 10:05:35 PM8/4/23
to SAHG
Hi all,

The 2023 World Hang Gliding Championships we be held this month (6-19 Aug) in Kreushevo, North Macedonia

Aus team member Jonny Durand has posted pics & vids from his warm-up flights there on his FB page - https://www.facebook.com/jonny.durand

The first comp day is Tue 8/8 (Euro time zone).  I expect that links for daily scores/ placings etc & more will be made available via some of the above sites (or Moyes Gliders web/ FB pages?) once the comp gets going.

Best of luck to all competitors!

Ciao,

Pebo  :-)

Andrew

Aug 6, 2023, 8:17:09 AM8/6/23
to SAHG
Good luck to the Aussie team.
https://hgworlds2021.mk/

Pebo Blank

Aug 7, 2023, 1:51:14 AM8/7/23
to SAHG

Pebo Blank

Aug 7, 2023, 9:15:13 PM8/7/23
to SAHG
(Not sure if they will fly a task on the first day, but) - Live tracking link is here:-  https://lt.flymaster.net/?grp=5355

After a task had been flown, results will be here:- https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results
(Conventional hang gliders are "Class1"; Rigid wings (with enclosed pilot) are :"Class 5".

Pebo Blank

Aug 7, 2023, 11:36:15 PM8/7/23
to SAHG
From the CIVL website for the 2023 HG Worlds - https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/participants  - the Aus Team pilots registered are:

Name & Status @ 8/8/23

“Confirmed”:

Guy Hubbard

Jon Durand

Rohan Taylor

Steve Docherty

Trent Brown

 In progress”:

Steve Blenkinsop (SA!)

Vic Hare

Peter Burkitt

Josh Woods
(Not sure of the max number allowed per national team, but) it says that the max total number of pilots is 130.  However, 131 are "Confirmed" thus far.

Best of luck to al the pilots!

Pebo :-)

Pebo Blank

Aug 8, 2023, 6:07:12 AM8/8/23
to SAHG
Here's a pic of the Aus team at Krushevo Macedonia on day 1 of the worlds.  Spot the South Aussie! :-)

Pebo Blank

Aug 8, 2023, 8:33:31 PM8/8/23
to SAHG
The Aus team are in 4th place after the 1st comp day/ task - the Italians are in the lead - see   https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64d2bcbf450e9

Pebo Blank

Aug 8, 2023, 8:37:28 PM8/8/23
to SAHG
Jonny Durand posts updates on his FB page from time to time.. https://www.facebook.com/jonny.durand

Pebo Blank

Aug 11, 2023, 9:07:55 PM8/11/23
to SAHG
Jonny Durand got 3rd place in Task #2 yesterday & the AUs team is now in 3rd place overall.  The Italians are in the lead (again).. https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64d6b25189ba1

Pebo Blank

Aug 12, 2023, 10:22:29 AM8/12/23
to SAHG
Jonny Durand was 2nd pilot to land at goal today.  Congrats to him! (Not sure about elapsed time & points as there were multiple start gates).  Task is still being flown as I write - see live tracking https://lt.flymaster.net/?grp=5355#

Pebo Blank

Aug 12, 2023, 7:02:26 PM8/12/23
to SAHG
In fact, Jonny Durand won the day yesterday https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64d7dea240f92  - & is now in 3rd place overall - https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64d7dea247126
The Aus team is also in 3rd place overall.. https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results

Tony & Mandy Cross

Aug 12, 2023, 7:30:23 PM8/12/23
to sa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the updates Pebo!
Good to watch some great team flying last night with Steve D, Rohan and Johnny together for most of the flight. Also worth a mention was Trent Brown who after a re fly, flew the course mostly alone and arrived at goal with only a few meters to spare.

Pebo Blank

Aug 13, 2023, 6:59:04 AM8/13/23
to SAHG
121km task today (Sun 13th) - with many turnpoints & directions - https://lt.flymaster.net/?grp=5355  It's already under way - see live tracking.. :-)

Pebo Blank

Aug 14, 2023, 11:20:52 PM8/14/23
to SAHG
After 5 tasks, the Aus team in in 3rd position - just ahead of the Brits - https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64da579af115f?fbclid=IwAR0r3UK0wBPlPnQ_jzsRKalGkt3fMoirirw_O3Vz322Z639XeTi9vJcdl20
Jonny Durand is top Aussie in 5th place overall - https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64da579aeeaf8
Guy Hubbard & Steven Crosby haven't flown/ scored the last 4 tasks.

Alex Ploner (Italy) is leading overall - with 3 more days to go..

Best of luck to all..

Pebo :-)

Pebo Blank

Aug 15, 2023, 7:48:35 AM8/15/23
to SAHG
Rest day at the Worlds today (Tue 15th) - no (comp task) flying today..

Pebo Blank

Aug 16, 2023, 7:04:35 PM8/16/23
to SAHG
After "T7", the Aus team are now in 4th place overall. https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64dd2d8ac62aa
The highest-placed Aussie is Jonny Durand in 5th individual.
Italian Alex Ploner is well in the lead overall. https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64dd2d8abf325
I think there are only 2 days of flying remaining.  All looks very competitive..
Pebo

Pebo Blank

Aug 17, 2023, 8:49:34 AM8/17/23
to SAHG
German Primoz Gircar had a good win yesterday & is in the lead (from the 1st start gate) as I write https://lt.flymaster.net/?grp=5355  but he was only in 15th place overall after yesterday's task.  https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64dd2d8abf325   BTW, Alex Ploner has won the FAI Hang Gliding World Championships three times (2009, 2011 and 2019) and is also the current FAI Hang Gliding European Champion.
I think the last comp flying day is tomorrow (Fri 18th)..

May the best pilot/s win..,

Pebo

Pebo Blank

Aug 17, 2023, 7:35:00 PM8/17/23
to SAHG
With only 1 day/ task remaining, the Aus team are in 7th place.  The highest Aussie is Jonny Durand in 6th overall.  All results available from  here: -  https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results

Pebo Blank

Aug 18, 2023, 5:30:03 PM8/18/23
to SAHG
Here are the final results after "T9" - Aus team 5th & the ItalianTeam 1st https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64dfd85ec03ff

It looks like Alex Ploner of Italy is World Champ - again! https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64dfd85ea1fd1
Presentation today.  Congrats to all who took part. :-)

Pebo

Pebo Blank

Aug 18, 2023, 9:25:10 PM8/18/23
to SAHG
Apparently, the Italian team have won every worlds since 2009!  Also Alex Ploner is World Champ for the 3rd? time.

Pebo Blank

Aug 18, 2023, 10:05:21 PM8/18/23
to SAHG
The Class5 (rigid wing) worlds were also on at Krushevo (Macedonia) & just finished.  The winner was  Anton Raumauf   from Austria.  No Aussies in the comp.  All pilots were flying "ATOS" series gliders.  https://civlcomps.org/event/hgworlds2023/results/64df8f41b6a57

Pebo Blank

Aug 18, 2023, 10:09:19 PM8/18/23
to SAHG
In the Women's (Class 1) division,  Sasha Serebrennikova (AUT) won - making her the current women's world HG champ. :-)

Pebo Blank

Aug 19, 2023, 8:16:36 PM8/19/23
to SAHG
Some pics & a write-up from the awards ceremony on Jonny Durand's Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/jonny.durand