refine.qtl()

Joshua Havill

Feb 17, 2022, 2:33:20 PM2/17/22
to R/qtl discussion
Hello Karl et al.,

I'm working within a four-way cross (4WC) framework, and have identified QTL for various traits. Since CIM and MQM are not built to work within the 4WC framework, I have been using scanone() to identify putative QTL positions.

As a follow-up, I have been trying to refine the positions of said QTL by using the refine.qtl() position. In some cases, the position changes but only slightly. In other cases with additional traits, it appears to shift to a different position entirely, so I'm not sure about how to proceed with the interpretation or what potential issues are causing the "instability" of the identified QTL.

I see the possibility of multiple QTL being present, but my population isn't large enough to detect small or even mid-size effect QTL that may be segregating (realistically) in the presence of other major (and potentially linked) QTL.

I'm wondering if anyone has any input into what may be causing said patterns of shift following the refine.qtl() process.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Karl Broman

Feb 17, 2022, 3:39:35 PM2/17/22
to R/qtl discussion
Could you give more information about what you mean by the results being unstable?
I don't quite know how to say.

refineqtl takes a given multiple QTL model and tries to optimize the locations of the QTL. The number of QTL on each chromosome is kept fixed, and it iteratively scans each QTL location, keeping all others in fixed positions, and moves the location if it finds any improvement in log likelihood.

With a single-QTL model, the results should be identical to scanone(). With a two-QTL model, the results should be identical to scantwo().
(Assuming the method="hk"/"imp" and model="normal"/"binary" are the same.)

karl

Joshua Havill

Feb 17, 2022, 4:35:08 PM2/17/22
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

Let's say I run scanone(), makeqtl(), and fitqtl(). If I run refine.qtl() using the qtl.object and the single qtl formula, the position shifts, sometimes a couple of centimorgans, other times it shifts to the opposite end of the linkage group, depending on the trait.

Yes, both "hk" and "binary" are consistently called as needed between scanone() and fitqtl().

Joshua Havill, M. Sc.
C: (612)-836-7834
Graduate Research Assistant, Ph. D. Candidate
Plant and Microbial Biology Graduate Program
Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics
411 Borlaug Hall
1991 Upper Buford Circle
Saint Paul, MN 55108
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

Joshua Havill

Feb 18, 2022, 12:09:05 PM2/18/22
to rqtl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

Nevermind, I made some typos. Yes, the position stays the same. Thanks for your e-mail.

Josh