Sleep Efficiency

Abbie Greenwood

Apr 23, 2024, 5:39:53 AMApr 23
to R package GGIR
Hi there,

First time GGIR user here! I am using Axivity data so have run my .cwa files along with the correctly formatted sleep log through the coding and have received the expected output. The only thing I can't seem to find is a calculated sleep efficiency in the csv output, despite using:

sleepwindowtype="TimeinBed",
     sleepefficiency.metric = 1,

I have calculated sleep efficiency myself using SleepDurationInSpt/guider_SptDuration, however these values are different from the sleep efficiency values quoted in the pdf summary report. I was wondering how I might receive these same values?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance,
Abbie

Vincent van Hees

May 20, 2024, 11:29:38 AMMay 20
to Abbie Greenwood, R package GGIR
Dear Abbie,

Are you using a sleep log (sleep diary) where the person was asked when they went to bed or turned off the lights? If not then sleep efficiency cannot be calculated in the conventional way used by the sleep research community. Whatever value is shown, it is not the real sleep efficiency.

The visual report is not necessarily identical to the quantitative reports as I have mentioned in previous responses in this google group and in https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/GGIR/vignettes/GGIR.html#231_Key_general_arguments, see discussing parameter viewingwindow. The visual report has never been well integrated in the rest of GGIR and comes with inconsistent recalculations of output. The quantitative reports have always been our focus and should be used for research.

We welcome funding / support to address this. I have no plans to address this without external support.

Best,

Vincent

Dr. Vincent van Hees | Independent consultant | https://accelting.com/
image