Requesting help interpreting MVPA variables

Jamie Alexiuk

May 10, 2024, 3:50:17 PMMay 10
to R package GGIR
Hi Dr. Van Hees & team,Our research group is looking at adherence to Canadian Movement Guidelines in a cohort of 1000 older Canadian women. However, we are having trouble understanding:
1. The differences between the definitions for bouted versus unbouted versus blocked activity.
2. Whether or not some of our numbers make sense.
In particular, why we are getting numbers below 10 for the variables AD_MVPA_E5S_B10M80%_T104_ENMO_0-24hr in part 2 and dur_day_MVPA_bts_10_min_pla in part 5.
3. The correct interpretation for variables "AD_MVPA_E5S_B10M80%_T104_ENMO_0-24hr" in part 2 and "dur_day_MVPA_bts_10_min_pla" in part 5. For example: what would be the correct way to interpret a value of 1.3 in "dur_day_MVPA_bts_10_min_pla" when the value of  "dur_day_total_MOD_min_pla" is 75.2?
Any help or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!Here is our code:
library(GGIR)
GGIR(datadir=pathway,
outputdir=pathway,
overwrite=FALSE,
f0=1, f1=0,
mode=c(2:5),
idloc=2,
maxdur=7,
dayborder=6,
printsummary=TRUE,
boutdur.mvpa=10,
boutdur.lig=10,
boutdur.in=60,
mvpathreshold=104,
threshold.lig=57,
threshold.mod=104,
threshold.vig=245,
timewindow=“MM”)
Thank you!
Jamie

Vincent van Hees

May 20, 2024, 11:56:51 AMMay 20
to Jamie Alexiuk, R package GGIR
Dear Jamie,

Further, we also discuss this in a bit more detail in the GGIR training course: https://www.accelting.com/ggir-training/ (next series in July).

Also, we aim to expand the documentation later this year with more details on how GGIR characterises time use in part 5.

However, more generally speaking:
  • Movement guidelines are typically not intended for quantifying adherence to them because otherwise they would have been accompanied with specific guidance on how to do that such as what equipment to use and what software to use. The purpose of movement guidelines is to send out a public health message to move more. Without clear guidance on how to quantify adherence, movement guidelines serve no purpose for doing quantitative research.
  • Different calculations result into different results. It is myth in the PA field that different calculations can somehow produce the same output. GGIR only attempts to facilitate the different calculations. It is up to the GGIR users to do the interpretation, which typically is specific to study population, sensor location, and GGIR configuration.

Best,

Vincent