Roma Genocide Remembrance Week

Roma Virtual Network

Aug 6, 2016, 5:09:16 AM8/6/16
to Roma_Da...@yahoogroups.com

Dear subscribers,
The European Roma Rights Centre, as you may be aware, has been sharing reflections via social meida on the Roma Genocide all this week as part of our Roma Genocide Remembrance Week. We are commemorating the 2, 897 men, women and children murdered when the Zigeunerlager was liquidated at Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp on 2nd August, 1944.

This day has come to represent a day of mourning also for the over half a million Roma who perished at the hands of the Nazis in the Second World War.

We have included in this email all the video and written reflections from our staff on the commemoration of the Roma Genocide which we published over the course of the week.

We hope you find these meaningful and you are of course very welcome to share them amongst your friends and colleagues.

ERRC President Ðorđe Jovanović shares his family’s experience of the Pharrajimos, and how the litigation and advocacy work of the ERRC is as important now as it ever has been in ensuring the lessons of World War Two are not forgotten.

ERRC Managing Director Adam Weiss shares his experience of being taught of the holocaust growing up in a Jewish family, and his early perception of Roma as victims of genocide by the Nazis.

Adam’s message that the lessons of the Second World War must be adhered to in the fulfillment of Roma rights, is as important now as ever before. The taking of so many lives must not be in vain, and the ERRC will continue to strive for an end to Roma discrimination and the full equality of Romani people in Europe.

ERRC Board Chair Ethel Brooks speaks about the lessons learned from the Second World War and how we must ensure the worst chapter of modern European history is not forgotten in the face of rising anti-Gypsyism.

A Song for the Roma Genocide - by Atanas Zahariev
“Gelem, gelem, lungone dromensa;
Maladilem bakhtale Romensa…”
Advocacy Officer Atanas Zahariev reflects on the meaning of the words of the Romani anthem in modern Europe today, and its importance in uniting Romani people everywhere on Roma Genocide Remembrance Day.

Board member William Bila thinks about the often sidelined issue of LGBTIQ Roma who perished at the hands of the Nazis during the Holocaust. It is important to ask ourselves and society the questions William poses so that no one’s terrible experience of genocide is forgotten.

Advocacy Officer Bernard Rorke discusses the Romani Genocide in the Czech Republic today, and the atrocities committed at Lety concentration camp during the Second World War.

Advocacy Officer Bernard Rorke remembers the Hungarian role in the Pharraijmos, the violent murders of Roma by Neo-Nazis in 2009, and the state of Roma Holocaust denial past and present.

We think it is fitting to end our week of commemoration with the words of Auschwitz survivor Primo Levi who 60 years ago, almost to the day, warned:

“If we fail to bear witness, in a not too distant future we could well see the deeds of Nazi bestiality relegated by their very enormity to the status of legend. It is vital therefore to speak out.”

Nais tuke,

The ERRC Communications Team

© ERRC 2016. All rights reserved

Interact with us online:

The European Roma Rights Centre is an international public interest law organisation which monitors the human rights situation of Roma and provides legal defence in cases of human rights abuse. For more information about the European Roma Rights Centre, visit the ERRC on the web at: http://www.errc.org

To support the ERRC, please visit this link: http://www.errc.org/en-donate.php

European Roma Rights Centre
1077 Budapest
Wesselényi utca 16