Income Tax dept to scrutinize IT returns etc of all candidates

MehtaRahulC

Jun 2, 2010, 6:12:11 AM6/2/10
to Right to Recall Group
Hi Folks,

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/IT-Dept-star...

Income Tax dept has been ordered to scrutinize income tax returns of
all candidates.

Behind the curtain, IMO, this is handiwork of Sonia Gandhi , MMS and
opposition leaders too seem to have agreed. Because this would reduce
number of candidates that would contest elections in future. As of
now, Income Tax dept will harass only LS candidates. But soon they
will harass every Assembly as well as local body candidates.

Inquiry against me started long before. As per me, I am already facing
harassment. I was prepared for it, and so I was honestly filing
returns and paying all taxes. But there is are sections in IT Act
(sections 24, 25, 26) that no one in India follows to the extent that
CAs dont even know that such sections exist. I had not followed that
sections and so had to pay tax plus 18% interest totaling about Rs
40,000 . And I ended up spending and wasting several days in drafting
replies to brain dead questions. I hope against hopes that undue
harassment will not happen. But I am prepared for it.

.