Right to Recall over Medical Council of India Chairman

1 view

MehtaRahulC

Apr 25, 2010, 2:46:53 AM4/25/10
to Right to Recall Group
The people in this community may not be knowing - but for past 5
years, I have been campaigning amongst Doctors that we should have
RTR over MCI Chairman. I did not put it in my manifesto, as I wanted
manifesto to be no more than 100 pages long.

Let me give some details of MCI. MCI consists of all Doctors. The
doctors elect regional representatives who elect MCI Chairman and
board members.The MCI board members and Chairman decide if a medical
college should recognized of de-recognized. And MCI Chairman also take
important decisions about approving clinical trials. MCI also has
powers to cancel a degree and license of a doctor.

Ketan Desai has been MCI Chairman for long. He had contacts with High
Court judges and even Supreme Court judges. He also had good relations
with ABV and Sonia Gandhi (till now). So Ketan Desai was literally
able to use criminals on doctors and sons of doctors perusing medical
degree. And many times, he would commit physical if not violent crimes
himself. eg he once tore apart the examination paper of a doctor's son
(who was complaining against Ketan Desai) right in the examination
hall in front of all students and many doctors. And the doctor's son
could give exam only after the doctor personally came and apologized
for the complaints he had filed and promised to withdraw them. Very
senior doctors were benefited by him. The top political bosses, Prime
Ministers and Health Ministers in Central Govt would get large pay
offs. The HCjs and SCjs relative lawyers would get large fees from
him. No middle level or junior doctor would dare to fight against him
because of blessings of HCjs and SCjs. All in all, Medical Mafia
perpetuated because they had blessings of Judicious Mafia and
Political Mafia and citizens had no procedure to expel MCI Chairman.

========

Right to Recall Medical Council Chief

One of many Executive Notification I have proposed, demanded is Right
to Recall of MCI Chairman i.e. procedure by citizens can expel,
replace MCI Chief and later conduct Narco Test in public with
majority approval and also impose fine/imprisonment using majority
approval if the need be.

========

How will this procedure help?

MCI chief can bribe out a handful of SCjs and HCjs, can bribe out PM
or super-PM, can bribe out a few Health Ministers. He can force other
doctors using his legal powers and criminals. But MCI Chief can
neither bribe out 72 citizen voters nor does he have enough criminals
to coerce them. So if MCI Chief is openly corrupt (as was the case)
and criminal, there will be no nexus, bribe or force that will stop
citizens from expelling MCI Chief and later punishing him as well.

And why will citizens care? Because health of MCI has direct impact
over health of citizens. As of now, MCI has allowed colleges to admit
students with utterly low merit (for hefty fees) into MBBS. This will
worsen the quality of doctors and will also increase malpractice.
Citizens do know about it, and do want to stop it. But alas !! They
have no procedures to expel MCI Chief.

=======

US doesnt have RTR over their Medical Chief. Then why do we need it?

US has Jury System to punish malpracticing doctors. And US has RTR
over Police Chiefs and local judges and so even biggies in US dont
resort to physical or violent intimidation. Hence using free speech,
small people in US can expose biggies. And US too has paid dearly for
lack of RTR over US Medical Council Chief. The spurious increase in
health care costs in US is mainly due to lack of RTR over US Medical
Council Chief. Now I will confine myself to India and not worry about
US.

========

Decision via RTI2
------------------------

The bottom line is : will RTR over MCI Chairman in India will help
citizens of India or not? Once RTI2 passes, I would propose RTR-MCIC,
and would register YES on it. If over 37 crore citizens dont register
YES, I would dump my proposal. But if 37 crore citizens of India do
register YES over RTR-MCIC, then I will proceed for next step.

--
=====

Right to Recall is the ONLY known way to reduce corruption. So if you think that corruption, if not controlled, can kill India, please campaign for "Right to Recall" laws. How? Please download http://rahulmehta.com/003.pdf to see how by spending mere 10 minutes a week and zero donations, you can help in bringing Right to Recall laws in India.

====

http://groups.google.com/group/RightToRecall?hl=en