8-15-2013 6PM to 11PM - “APOC Mini Radiation Detector”

Karl

Aug 11, 2013, 5:26:08 PM8/11/13
to Revers...@googlegroups.com

Reverse Space – Build, Create, Collaborate. “ APOC Mini Radiation Detector”

8-15-2013 6PM to 11PM - “APOC Mini Radiation Detector

This week we will be hosting a group for geiger counter enthusiasts and will build a Kickstarter kit called the “JPOC Mini Radiation Detector.” The building of the kit will require soldering and knowledge of circuit boards to complete the kit. We'll start building the kit at 7 p.m.

If you have a Geiger counter, please bring one to the meeting! To test the detector we will be using donated uranium glass marbles (toys). These materials are harmless and was at one point commonplace in America's household glassware. For more information please see Wikipedia's link on uranium glass. If you have any household or harmless items which admit alpha or beta gamma rays, feel free to bring them to the meeting. Common household items that emit benign radiation can include smoke detectors, lantern mantles, watches, camera lenses, jewelry, rocks and minerals, pottery, and furniture. Please come to our weekly meeting and enjoy this fascinating field of science and technology. Also, be working on the projects listed below and are always looking for volunteers to help build the Makerspace.

More information can be found at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/excelphysics/apoc-mini-radiation-detector?ref=live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6x5mSp0PeA Video of the glass uranium marbles we will have at the meeting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger_counter

http://excelphysics.com/pages/apoc-basic-kit-and-usage-instructions This is the kit we will be building at the meeting.

http://www.geigercounters.com/Houshold.htm

If you have any projects you are working on, feel free to bring it to Reverse Space! We have locked storage space, hundred of tools and electronics, and the largest sections of free to use 3D printers for any Makerspace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace) on the east coast of the US. At this time membership is free.

Other projects we are working on below. Help is always needed.

Micro controller (Arduino) – Looking for a group leader to start projects and setup lab.

Raspberry Pi – Installation of OS system and working test system for members.

Lyman Filament Extruder – Every Makerspace should have one!

Heated Build Bed - for Makerbot Replicator 2. We have the parts.

Human Head 3D Scanning - Microsoft Kinect Sensor installed with the software for 3D scanning.

NextEngine 3D Laser Scanner – Ready to use.

3D - “Rostock Delta Arm 3D printer” Team is almost done.

3D - “PrintRbot LC” - This 3D printer needs to be calibrated and test prints done.

3D - “RepRap” - This also needs to be calibrated and test prints done.

CNC - “ShapeOko CNC” Team is almost done.

3D - “B9Creator” Getting a working print and settings with our DLP light 3D printer.

Drone - “Flight of the 3D printed quad copter drone” The drone needs to fly.

Help Needed - Organization and building of the Makerspace. Help is always appreciated but not required.

Community Help - Other members who may need help on their projects.

Website and listed equipment – Webmaster needed. Free membership for this job.

Equipment Operators – Host of the space runs the Makerbot, Corporate 3D printers, and Ultimaker.

Address of the meeting:

Cortona Academy

13505 Dulles Technology Drive Suite 3 (all the way in the back!)

Herndon, VA 20171

photo-main.jpg