Performance: RenderTag or element?

Neil

Jan 26, 2015, 9:40:30 AM1/26/15
to reddot-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm looking at content that can be populated by both rendertags and elements, and wondered which - if any - was better for performance?

For example, to display the page's headline, I could use either of these:

  1. Create a headline element, such as <%hdl_headline%>
  2. Use a RenderTag: <%!! Context:CurrentPage.Headline !!%>

Option 1 would stay up-to-date but requires adding an element, whereas option 2 might suffer from caching (?) but is lighter.

So, is either better? I imagine this can also be used with info elements, for things like dates.

Interested to know.

Ta

Neil

Hilmar Bunjes

Jan 26, 2015, 10:02:34 AM1/26/15
to reddot-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
due to the RenderTag overhead I always recommend to use elements whereever possible. The elements are the native way to get information for a single page where RenderTags are already a workaround.

Remember: Using RenderTags can result in RQL executed on the server.

My suggestion for usage:
1. Elements
2. Rendertags
3. Custom Code
(missed anything)

Best
Hilmar

Neil

Jan 26, 2015, 10:11:55 AM1/26/15
to reddot-c...@googlegroups.com
Great answer, thanks Hilmar.

Neil

Derek E

Jan 25, 2017, 4:22:17 PM1/25/17
to RedDot CMS Users
Agreed.
PreExecute and RDExecute would be after RenderTags as well, since it has eve more overhead.
Customer Elements are newer and should perform pretty good. But there is no point if you can do it with a regular built-in element.